Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Peter Smith <pe...@fast.fujitsu.com.au> on 2004/10/08 01:34:45 UTC

Message keys in resource.properties

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are rules for categories/naming of message keys in the axis i18n resource.properties file?

As far as I can tell the resource.properties contains a jumble of  i18n strings for error messages, tool usage and output, html, debugging, whatever.

Unfortunately, the key names seem to be just ad-hoc (albeit unique) names. In particular, they give no hint to the purpose/usage of the associated string.

The reason for asking is I was considering how much effort might be required to prefix error messages (with "[axis-NNNN] " for example) so that they could eventually be documented with some cause/user-action. But currently I can't tell the error message i18n strings from the 100s of other non error message i18n strings unless I was to search the source code for usage of all message keys - something I want to avoid if possible.

Aside: I expect I'm out of luck wishing for different key names since
a) refactoring the code to change message keys would be a big job
b) any changes to message keys now would break user resource*.properties already in existence.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Peter.This is an email from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, ABN 27 003 693 481. It is confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed and may contain copyright and/or legally privileged information. No one else may read, print, store, copy or forward all or any of it or its attachments. If you receive this email in error, please return to sender. Thank you.