Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2011/12/06 23:23:36 UTC

[OT] Recommendations for Amazon EC2 Linux Flavor

Re: [OT] Recommendations for Amazon EC2 Linux Flavor

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 02:02, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> [...]>
>> I'd comment too on the lack of packages in RHEL.
>> I know that lots of missing perl modules won't bother you much, but maybe a
>> missing mod_jk will leave you less serene ?
>>

> Why use mod_jk when you have mod_proxy_ajp?

Because you may have a whole infrastructure already based on mod_jk, and because there are
things
easier to do with mod_jk than with mod_proxy_ajp (and vice-versa probably).
But I'll let Chris answer that further.
Note that you can always build mod_jk under RHEL, and make a package of it.
But it's always sweet to be able to use pre-packaged stuff.

Re: [OT] Recommendations for Amazon EC2 Linux Flavor

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] Recommendations for Amazon EC2 Linux Flavor

Posted by Francis GALIEGUE <fg...@one2team.com>.

--
Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM

Re: [OT] Recommendations for Amazon EC2 Linux Flavor

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] Recommendations for Amazon EC2 Linux Flavor

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] Recommendations for Amazon EC2 Linux Flavor

Posted by Francis GALIEGUE <fg...@one2team.com>.
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 23:23, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm provisioning my first Amazon EC2 instance and I was wondering if
> anyone has any recommendations on the flavor of Linux I choose.
>
> I am most familiar with the Debian/Ubuntu package management and
> administration and, of course, Amazon has neither of those as image
> types to choose. It looks like I can choose:
>
> * Fedora
> * CentOS
> * SUSE
> * "Amazon Linux"
>
> I have no idea what that last one is... it uses yum as it's package
> manager so I assume it's related to Fedora/RHEL.
>
> Any thoughts?

What are your primary concerns? If stability I'd definitely go for
CentOS, it is just an RHEL recompiled, and RHEL is damn stable (I use

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] Recommendations for Amazon EC2 Linux Flavor

Posted by Gavin Yue <yu...@gmail.com>.
Which JVM are you using, default one or installing hotspot?

Thx

Posted by Gavin Yue <yu...@gmail.com>.
Amazon linux belong to RHEL/CentOS family.

You could choose the ubuntu image:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EC2StartersGuide

They have official AMI.

But someone claimed that Amazon Linus has best performance on EC2, since it
is created by Amazon...

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Christopher Schultz <