Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Michal Kostrzewa <m....@pentacomp.com.pl> on 2004/02/27 19:11:23 UTC

Are the docs: serverStartup.pdf and requestProcess.pdf broken?

Hi,

I think the files

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/architecture/requestProcess/requestProcess.pdf

and

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/architecture/startup/serverStartup.pdf

are broken.

I've tested in under linux with gs and under Windows with Acrobat Reader
5 and received the same errors. I've checked the sources of tomcat5 out
and the files there are corrupted too... Somebody forgot to add -kb cvs
sticky tag? :) But seriously - can somebody open this file successfully?

best regards,
Michal Kostrzewa
mkostrze@apache.org

Re: Are the docs: serverStartup.pdf and requestProcess.pdf broken?

Posted by "Kevin D. Offet" <ke...@kaligin.com>.
Michal Kostrzewa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the files
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/architecture/requestProcess/requestProcess.pdf
>
> and
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/architecture/startup/serverStartup.pdf
>
> are broken.

When attempting to open them Acrobat Reader reports a series of errors
that are very similar to a recent problem we've had.

We could not email valid pdf files at all. They could be created locally
and viewed successfully but not emailed.

After investigations, trials and tribulations the short story is:

A local windowsxp machine had been infected with a viral spam-mailer.

The installed and active virus scanner had not caught it, and from our
best guesses had missed it for over a week.

A better virus scanner (pick your favorite, YMMV) found 100 infected files.

However, the problem still persisted. We then removed and replaced our
email program. which resolved the problem.

I would include a better picture of what happened by including the file
list/log from the virus scanner but the affected machine is now off-line
and being replaced.

Our thoughts seem to make sense in that the viral spam-mailer has to
work by affecting those part of a system responsible for adding
attachments. In the case of attaching pdf files, it would corrupt the
file in the process.

By now, you have already uploaded good copies to the CVS and resolved
the immediate issue. But I thought I might mention this little episode
in light of not only the corrupt pdf files but also the spurious email
that that the list has been receiving (re : Mladen Turk).

regards,
Kevin