Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/19 16:11:57 UTC

OSGi CT access

I'd like to confirm the process for gaining access to the OSGi CT.

An ASF committer can:

* submit an NDA -- http://www.apache.org/jcp/ApacheNDA.pdf
* send a request on jcp-open, presumably with an simple explanation of why they would like access to the CT (e.g. I'm working on the Apache Aries project and would like access to the OSGi CT).

Is that about right?

--kevan

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> So, go ahead and submit your NDA and I'll send you the CT.

I already send an NDA some time ago (recorded here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/Correspondence/JCP/tck-nda-list.txt)
As this is a general NDA I guess this should be enough, however if
required I can resend it.

So please send me the CT for some Felix related work.

Thanks
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 2/16/10 5:54 PM, Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 16.02.2010 10:24, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Richard S. Hall wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, sounds good to me.
>>>
>>> Those with an NDA submitted and wanting OSGi CT access, speak up and I
>>> will verify and provide access.
>>>

> Excellent.
>

>> Cool, so here is the ref to my nda:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/Correspondence/JCP/tck-nda-list.txt
>>

> My NDA is also listed there and I would like to get access to check the
> Apache Felix Compendium service implementations I am working on. Thanks.

I see Carsten's listed in the referenced file, but not yours, Felix. I
do see your NDA in the documents section, so I think it is ok to send
you the CT.

I am not sure about the protocol for editing the above tck-nda-list.txt
file, but if it is ok for me to edit it, then I can add you Felix and
record you two as having received the OSGi CT. As for your NDA pdf, I am
not sure where this is supposed to be filed.

-> richard

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Ok, sounds good to me.
>
> Those with an NDA submitted and wanting OSGi CT access, speak up and I
> will verify and provide access.

Cool, so here is the ref to my nda:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/foundation/Correspondence/JCP/tck-nda-list.txt

:)

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 2/16/10 5:12 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> that would certainly be fine.  The NDA was written not just with JCP materials in mind, but anything that might come along in the future.

Ok, sounds good to me.

Those with an NDA submitted and wanting OSGi CT access, speak up and I
will verify and provide access.

Thanks!

-> richard

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 1/20/10 7:52, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Shall we move forward on our organizational desire to get out of the NDA business?
>
> When I put the NDA together some years ago, it was based on my view that we as a corporation needed something tangible with which we could demonstrate that we were taking reasonable steps to provide oversight over confidential materials that we licensed and were obligated to keep confidential.
>
> However, the OSGi CT is different - it doesn't require a formal NDA (AIUI).
>
> That said, I do think it's really valuable to have a "Memorandum of Understanding" or "Agreement for Licensed Materials" so that people have to acknowledge to us that such materials aren't open source, or things that can be redistributed at will, but a document without the formal burdens of confidentiality and liability upon the signer.
>
> For example :
>
> 1) That materials provided are licensed by the ASF for the use by and only by ASF projects.
>
> 2) That the recipient will use reasonable care when using such materials (whatever that means).
>
> 3) The recipient understands that they are not to be distributed to or used by 3rd parties.
>
> If nothing else, this gives us a solid leg to stand on in the event a person mishandles the materials....

I think this would be fine. So where do we get this "Memorandum of
Understanding" ? Is this something that can happen soonish since sorting
out the OSGi CT process has taken a while?

On a more detailed note, would something like this need to be signed on
a per "understanding" basis or would one cover all such materials
licensed to the Apache?

-> richard

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by BJ Hargrave <ha...@us.ibm.com>.
The MOU should probably make clear that Apache took on certain obligations
to license the materials and the signer of the MOU is also undertaking
those same obligations as an agent of Apache. These obligations may
include:

- the materials are licensed to Apache for a specific use and may not be
used for other purposes
- the materials are not to be redistributed
- etc.
--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM

office: +1 386 848 1781
mobile: +1 386 848 3788

From:
"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>
To:
jcp-open@apache.org
Date:
2010/01/20 07:53
Re: OSGi CT access

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.
Makes sense to me.

Regards,
Alan

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 1/19/10 14:12, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Nope, it was concern about discussing the OSGi CT openly, something we
> are not allowed to do for JSR TCKs.

There is nothing in the CT license agreement that says we cannot discuss
the CT, as far as I can see.

-> richard

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
# of passes, etc should not be shared as well and probably should be
added to the guidance.

Jeff

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
I think it would be darn ironic to be discussing OSGi CT openly on the "jcp-open" list :)

geir

Re: OSGi CT access

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: OSGi CT access