Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by mirage1987 <mi...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/30 12:25:27 UTC

Getting better performance frm Solr

hi,
     I was wondering how we can improve the query response time from solr.
Is it possible to put my index into ram to increase performance.Does solr
provide any such functionality???
(like RAMDirectory in lucene.) (working on linux)
I tried to put the index in /dev/shm/ but didn't get ny performance boost
relative to when i had it on disk.
(my index is around 600 MB and i have plenty of ram 8gb)

My underlying lucene is providing an avg queryresponse time of 84 ms
Any idea how much solr would add to this??....can i reduce that time???

Thanx.

Re: Getting better performance frm Solr

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Several options:

- use tmpfs (loads everything in RAM)
- force the FS/OS to cache your index (e.g. cat /path/to/index/* > /dev/null)
- warm up your index well (e.g. *:* + sort queries if you sort)
- make use of Solr caches

Otis

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
>From Erik Hatcher:

Try adding &debugQuery=true to your request and look at
the timings in the response.  What is the QueryComponent time?

As I understand it, if you look carefully at the output you'll
see where time is spent, including the raw time the search
takes. That'll inform your next steps..

Best
Erick (not Hatcher)