Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Christopher Burkey <cb...@one.net> on 2001/08/15 20:26:49 UTC

Stuck emails

Noticed some stuck emails when we use POP3 with this config option:

      <inboxRepository>
         <repository destinationURL="file://var/mail/inboxes/"
                     type="MAIL">
         </repository>
       </inboxRepository>

I tracked the problem down to:

org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.masterstore.AbstractFileRepository

public void initialize()        throws Exception    {
         m_name = RepositoryManager.getName();
         m_extension = "." + m_name + getExtensionDecorator();

What this does is use a new repository extension each time the JVM is
reloaded in James. Notice the static method call to ReositoryManager. The
end result is that email will remain stuck in the /var/mail/inboxes/*.*
directory because the extension does not match the new static name.

For example:

  4D61696C3939373438373238313037372D373030.Repository25.FileObjectStore

The number 25 in Repository25.FileObjectStore will be lost once the JVM is
shut down. To find out more about the bug we should look into the static
RepositoryManager.getName(); method.

In the meantime I am going to tryout the MySQL storage of emails to see if
its more reliable.

Christopher Burkey		cburkey@einnovation.com
President		 	513-542-3401
eInnovation Inc. 		http://einnovation.com