Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk> on 2006/07/04 11:06:05 UTC

Myway.com and RFC-ignorant.org

Hi,

Has anybody had any experiences in trying to convince Myway.com to clean
their act up enough to get them off the RFC-ignorant.org lists?

http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/tools/lookup.php?domain=myway.com

I have a user who uses myway.com when he is travelling for work, and
whose family all have accounts.  Just had to explain why a lot of their
emails where not getting through...

I am pushing these through the Bayes system to get that score down a
bit, but it would make life a lot easier if myway.com weren't on the
rfc-ignorant.org RBL.

Myway.com seem to publish a proper SPF record.  The default score for
SPF_PASS is -0.0.  Would anyone recommend lowering that slightly to help
balance these scores out?  I understand that SPF is not a sign of
hammy/spammyness, but would I be openening up my system too much by
lowering the SPF_PASS score?

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples

Re: Myway.com and RFC-ignorant.org

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
John Rudd wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2006, at 2:06 AM, Anthony Peacock wrote:
>>
>> I have a user who uses myway.com when he is travelling for work, and
>> whose family all have accounts.  Just had to explain why a lot of
>> their emails where not getting through...
>>

> Why not add that user and their family to your SA whitelist?

Whitelisting is something I try to do as little as possible if I can.  I
view whitelisting as a blunt instrument.  I do use whitelisting, and may
do so for this particular case, but I was more interested in the general
ideas about the other rule hits.

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
John D. Hardin wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Anthony Peacock wrote:
>
>> John D. Hardin wrote:

>>> Do it just for myway. Something like (off the top of my head, syntax
>>> is probably off):
>>>
>>> header  __MYWAY       Received =~ /myway\.com/
>>> meta    MYWAY_TWEAK   __MYWAY && SPF_PASS
>>> score   MYWAY_TWEAK   -2.0
>> Hmm!  This looks interesting.  I will try this out.
>>
>> Mind you I am still not sure that I want to trust all Myway users in
>> this way :-)
>
> I'm also not at all sure this is any different in effect from
> "whitelist_from_spf *@myway.com" - but it *will* let you finely tune
> just *how much* you trust myway.com emails...

Exactly what I was thinking.  whitelist_from_spf gives a massive -100.0,
wheras with this meta rule you can give a small negative score to
counter act some of the RFC stuff, without countering other spammy
scores too much.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Anthony Peacock wrote:

> John D. Hardin wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Anthony Peacock wrote:
> >
> >> Myway.com seem to publish a proper SPF record.  The default score for
> >> SPF_PASS is -0.0.  Would anyone recommend lowering that slightly to help
> >> balance these scores out?  I understand that SPF is not a sign of
> >> hammy/spammyness, but would I be openening up my system too much by
> >> lowering the SPF_PASS score?
> >
> > Do it just for myway. Something like (off the top of my head, syntax
> > is probably off):
> >
> > header  __MYWAY       Received =~ /myway\.com/
> > meta    MYWAY_TWEAK   __MYWAY && SPF_PASS
> > score   MYWAY_TWEAK   -2.0
>
> Hmm!  This looks interesting.  I will try this out.
>
> Mind you I am still not sure that I want to trust all Myway users in
> this way :-)

I'm also not at all sure this is any different in effect from
"whitelist_from_spf *@myway.com" - but it *will* let you finely tune
just *how much* you trust myway.com emails...

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: Myway.com and RFC-ignorant.org

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, Anthony Peacock wrote:

> Myway.com seem to publish a proper SPF record.  The default score for
> SPF_PASS is -0.0.  Would anyone recommend lowering that slightly to help
> balance these scores out?  I understand that SPF is not a sign of
> hammy/spammyness, but would I be openening up my system too much by
> lowering the SPF_PASS score?

Do it just for myway. Something like (off the top of my head, syntax
is probably off):

header  __MYWAY       Received =~ /myway\.com/
meta    MYWAY_TWEAK   __MYWAY && SPF_PASS
score   MYWAY_TWEAK   -2.0

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  The first time I saw a bagpipe, I thought the player was torturing
  an octopus. I was amazed they could scream so loudly.
                                        -- cat_herder_5263 on Y! SCOX
 Today: The 230th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence