Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/11 14:40:42 UTC

Roller Proposal: AtomPub support for comments

Folks have repeatedly asked about API support for comments and now I
have a need myself. So, I've been refactoring Roller's AtomPub
implementation and preparing a proposal for AtomPub support for
comments. Here's the proposal:

   http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/SgsB

And of course, feedback is more than welcome so please take a look and
let me know what you think. I hope to start committing this work over
the next couple of days.

Thanks,
- Dave

Re: Roller Proposal: AtomPub support for comments

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/07, Nick Sieger <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/07, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Folks have repeatedly asked about API support for comments and now I
> > have a need myself. So, I've been refactoring Roller's AtomPub
> > implementation and preparing a proposal for AtomPub support for
> > comments. Here's the proposal:
> >
> >    http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/SgsB
>
> Looks good, Dave. Will you be building the capability for an Atom feed
> for a single blog post to contain all of the associated comments in
> reply to that post? The ATE RFC seems to hint at this (section 3,
> "example of an entry with a response"). Sam Ruby is doing this as well
> (see e.g., http://intertwingly.net/blog/2694.atom, although Sam isn't
> using ATE).

That's a good idea, but it is not part of this work. I'm working
within Roller's AtomPub implementation to make it possible to create,
retrieve, update and delete comments.

Adding comments to the Atom entries feed would be done within Roller's
page/feed rendering system.

> Is ATE implemented and live anywhere yet?

I'm not aware of any implementations off hand.

Posted by Nick Sieger <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/07, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks have repeatedly asked about API support for comments and now I
> have a need myself. So, I've been refactoring Roller's AtomPub
> implementation and preparing a proposal for AtomPub support for
> comments. Here's the proposal:
>
>    http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/SgsB
>
> And of course, feedback is more than welcome so please take a look and
> let me know what you think. I hope to start committing this work over
> the next couple of days.

Looks good, Dave. Will you be building the capability for an Atom feed
for a single blog post to contain all of the associated comments in
reply to that post? The ATE RFC seems to hint at this (section 3,
"example of an entry with a response"). Sam Ruby is doing this as well
(see e.g., http://intertwingly.net/blog/2694.atom, although Sam isn't
using ATE).

Is ATE implemented and live anywhere yet?

/Nick

Re: Roller Proposal: AtomPub support for comments

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Just to contrast this a bit with what I've done for IBM's internal blog
server.. each blog has a single comments collection to which all
comments are posted.  Each entry is required to contain a
thr:in-reply-to element that identifies the entry being commented on.

- James