Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Vadim Chekan <ko...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/18 22:01:18 UTC

spark.cleaner.ttl default

Hi all,

I'm trying to load streaming context from a checkpoint: "val ctx = new
StreamingContext("\\Temp\\spark-checkpoint")" and I'm getting:
"Spark Streaming cannot be used without setting spark.cleaner.ttl; set this
property before creating a SparkContext (use SPARK_JAVA_OPTS for the shell)"

Apparently MetadataCleaner delay is set to default 3600 when streaming
context is created as "new StreamingContext("local", "cpc-stub",
Seconds(10))" but not when "new
StreamingContext("\\Temp\\spark-checkpoint")"

https://github.com/mesos/spark/blob/master/streaming/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/streaming/StreamingContext.scala#L546

Is there a reason for spark.cleaner.ttl to be set to a default value in one
constructor but not in another? If it is just an omission, is github's
mesos/spark still preferred way to send pull request?

Vadim.

--
>From RFC 2631: In ASN.1, EXPLICIT tagging is implicit unless IMPLICIT is
explicitly specified

Re: spark.cleaner.ttl default

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Good catch, we should probably just load it from the checkpoint in the latter case.

Please send pull requests to apache/incubator-spark instead -- there are some new docs on it here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Contributing+to+Spark

Matei