Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Madan KN <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/27 10:31:53 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.25.0 - 100% CPU Utilization

*Hi,*

We are using tomcat with the following system configurations.

Linux 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp (RHEL)
Quad Core CPU
Memory 16GB
Java version 1.5.0_11
Tomcat Version 5.5.25.0
CATALINA Heap Size: 1GB
Running Only 1 Webapp

* Application runs absolutely fine for some days and suddenly starts
consuming all the 4cpu's to 100%.
* We have checked all our logs and did through code digging and found
nothing unusual or any infinite loops or any resource locks or dead locks.
We even don't have any DB calls from the app.
* Again after restart the server comes back to normal and works fine.

Any help or insight to the problem could be appreciated.
*
Thanks In Advance.*
Madan KN

Re: Tomcat 5.5.25.0 - 100% CPU Utilization

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Hello,

next time it happens (if it does) make a thread dump (kill -QUIT pid)
and sent it to us.
Usually it helps to find an infinite loop or at least point to the
problem source.
Code review won't help you to find an infinite loop if it for example
results from an unsynchronized hashmap.

regards
Leon

Posted by Suresh Jangir <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Can you please try adding the JVM option XX:+PrintClassHistogram

Whenever it reach at 100% CPU print the histogram of the JVM and it might help you in debugging the problem. It will print the whole stack including the number of Objects in the heap at that point of time.

-Thanks &  Regards-
   Suresh Kumar  Jangir
+91-9899822295
mail:- jangir_suresh95@yahoo.com