Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> on 2011/11/16 05:22:46 UTC

[VOTE] Release hadoop-1.x.x off branch-0.20-security

Please vote on naming 'future' releases off branch-0.20-security (with
both security & append) as hadoop-1.x.x.

We should also rename branch-0.20-security as branch-1.x.x.

I propose we use the common 3-part major, minor (compatible, newer
features) and sub-minor (bug fixes) scheme as suggested by Doug in the

The vote will run the normal 5 days.

thanks,
Arun

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-1.x.x off branch-0.20-security

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 04:30PM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> Doesn't having trunk on lesser version than a branch make Hadoop
> versioning more confusing?
> People were asking for consistent non-confusing versioning schema.
> Why don't we instead call a vote on your initial suggestion lately
> clarified by Matt?
> I got a feeling many are in favor of it.

I believe an unofficial vote on the massive renaming has been happening
separately along with this one.

Cos

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.
On 11/18/11 4:30 PM, "Konstantin Shvachko" <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Doesn't having trunk on lesser version than a branch make Hadoop
>versioning more confusing?

IMO Trunk is named 'trunk', and has no version
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/
Where is 0.24?  nowhere (yet).  There is only trunk and the branches.

The pom files in maven may be confusing, since they claim that the code in
the 'trunk' is 0.24.0-SNAPSHOT.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/trunk/pom.xml?view=markup
One should not have to commit to a branch name before branching from trunk!

Just change the trunk pom project name to trunk-SNAPSHOT.
When a branch occurs, it can be named with a version, and the pom's in the
branch updated appropriately.

This way, trunk's version never changes -- which is helpful after a branch
for many IDE's that derive config from maven.  It also allows consistency
between svn paths and maven versions.

OT: (the maven release plugin is restrictive and flawed IMO.  It conflates
naming with version control, only working well if you follow its default
'rename where you branched from' policy.  Use 'mvn versions:set' and
svn/git instead for branching).

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Yang <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:22AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> On 16/11/11 04:22, Arun Murthy wrote:
>> Please vote on naming 'future' releases off branch-0.20-security (with
>> both security&  append) as hadoop-1.x.x.
>>
>> We should also rename branch-0.20-security as branch-1.x.x.
>>
>> I propose we use the common 3-part major, minor (compatible, newer
>> features) and sub-minor (bug fixes) scheme as suggested by Doug in the
>>
>> The vote will run the normal 5 days.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Arun
>
> -1
>
> If 0.23 -> 2.0 (as everyone agrees) then that will send a clear message
> to users that

Sorry, Steve - not everyone agrees with that apparently. And the reason for
said disagreement has been discussed in lengths times and again.

There are three major development branches in existence and if re-numbering
takes place than all three should be considered equally to prevent creating
even more mess with the versions. What you are proposing will essentially lead to

    0.22  -> 0.22
    0.20+ -> 1.0
    0.23  -> 2.0

And this will be so bad that frequent Firefox major version updates (which
works great, btw) will look like a nice thing to have.

Cos

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-1.x.x off branch-0.20-security

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 16/11/11 04:22, Arun Murthy wrote:
> Please vote on naming 'future' releases off branch-0.20-security (with
> both security&  append) as hadoop-1.x.x.
>
> We should also rename branch-0.20-security as branch-1.x.x.
>
> I propose we use the common 3-part major, minor (compatible, newer
> features) and sub-minor (bug fixes) scheme as suggested by Doug in the
>
> The vote will run the normal 5 days.
>
> thanks,
> Arun

-1

I feel this numbering scheme runs the risk of going like Firefox -what
is it this week? And how traumatic will it be from upgrading from last
week's firefox version?

0.20.x is the primary platform people use today
0.20.20x is the latest ASF version of that, though I don't know it's
in-field takeup

* keeping it as 0.20.x would tell people that if they are running
0.20.x, the cost of upgrading would be less

* having a 1.0 and 2.0 release in roughly the same timeframe will
generate more confusion as to the future roadmap.

If 0.23 -> 2.0 (as everyone agrees) then that will send a clear message
to users that
  -this is a major release with major new features
  -it is the way forward

Keeping the 0.20.x numbering for that branch makes it clear that is the
maintenance branch for people who aren't upgrading.

Re: RESULT - [VOTE] Release hadoop-1.x.x off branch-0.20-security

Posted by stephen mulcahy <st...@deri.org>.
On 24/11/11 08:42, Matt Foley wrote:
> Yes, branch-0.20-security-205 was branched from branch-0.20-security on 12
> September 2011, when it was decided to create the 0.20.205.0 release.  All
> commits to branch-0.20-security-205 since that time have also been
> committed to branch-0.20-security, so the latter remains a proper superset
> of 205.
>
> As agreed in other threads, branch-0.20-security will become branch-1,
> while branch-0.20-security-205 will be copied to branch-1.0, from which
> release 1.0.0 will be made.
> In the future, branch-1 will beget branch-1.1 from which release 1.1.0 can
> be made.

Great, thanks for the clarifications (you and Owen).

And congrats on the imminent 1.0.0 release!

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, Digital Enterprise Research Institute,
NUI Galway, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland

Re: RESULT - [VOTE] Release hadoop-1.x.x off branch-0.20-security

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes, branch-0.20-security-205 was branched from branch-0.20-security on 12
September 2011, when it was decided to create the 0.20.205.0 release.  All
commits to branch-0.20-security-205 since that time have also been
committed to branch-0.20-security, so the latter remains a proper superset
of 205.

As agreed in other threads, branch-0.20-security will become branch-1,
while branch-0.20-security-205 will be copied to branch-1.0, from which
release 1.0.0 will be made.
In the future, branch-1 will beget branch-1.1 from which release 1.1.0 can
be made.

Regards,
--Matt

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.
Each of the 2xx release branches including 205 has come off of
branch-0.20-security.

Branch-0.20-security will be renamed branch-1 and branch-0.20.205 will
be copied to branch-1.0.

-- Owen

Posted by stephen mulcahy <st...@deri.org>.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Joe Stein <ch...@allthingshadoop.com>.
So, does this mean then any 2.x.x release will have *all* of the features
of the 1.x.x ?  Anything not in there should be deprecated, right?

If not, then it is not really linear as most software projects are
providing versions that have new features on top of the support for
previous ones.

I am hard pressed to think of any software release ever where a feature
that folks want ONLY exists in a previous version. I might be off base here
as the trunk might represent the ALL of the features in this branch????

So if 2.x.x will have security, append (and all of the other goodies that
are in 1.x.x) then it makes sense otherwise it is just as confusing but
just re-labled.

Sorry, trying to get a grasp of all of this seems to be moving quickly and
not sure if the branch / trunk is merging or just being re-labeled for *
marketing* purposes.

If I am having confusion then confusion will come further from folks trying
to get into Hadoop also.  Just saying.

All of the good work that everyone has done is awesome, just trying to
understand some straight line path of releases.   This is not a new idea
and typical of what the software community as a whole expects (speaking for
the 99%).  If 0.23 trunk release is a representation of the branch release
0.20.20X.X with all of the patches there, then fantastic but have not heard
that mentioned (and honestly it is very hard to keep track).

any clarity would be helpful, thanx

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler <eric14@hortonworks.com

--

/*
Joe Stein

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-1.x.x off branch-0.20-security

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
I don't think we should vote it that way.
Because 0.23 and 0.22 become confusing in this case.
Unless you want to replace trunk with what is in 0.20.205.

The three branches 0.20.security, o.22, and 0.23 have very different
codes bases. So calling them 1, 2, and 3 respectively is natural.
But we should vote on a complex naming convention, not just the thing
which will be called Hadoop 1.
And try to make it less confusing for the users.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for calling 0.20.205.1 as 1.0.0.

mahadev

Posted by Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jitendra Pandey <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 for 0.20.205.1 --> 1.0.0

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.
+1. I think this is the best incremental step forward and is in the context of an actual release we are almost ready to vote on.

Cheers,
Nige

On 11/15/11 8:22 PM, "Arun Murthy" <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Please vote on naming 'future' releases off branch-0.20-security (with
> both security & append) as hadoop-1.x.x.
>
> We should also rename branch-0.20-security as branch-1.x.x.
>
> I propose we use the common 3-part major, minor (compatible, newer
> features) and sub-minor (bug fixes) scheme as suggested by Doug in the
>
> The vote will run the normal 5 days.
>
> thanks,
> Arun

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-1.x.x off branch-0.20-security

Posted by Mi...@emc.com.
-1 (non-binding)

While I support renaming 0.20.205.1 as 1.0.0 and branch-0.20-security as
branch-1.x.x, I think that renumbering other branches in play (0.22, 0.23,
0.24) should be done in the same transaction. Otherwise, the goal of this
whole exercise (I.e. Reducing user-confusion) will be defeated.

- Milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Greenplum Labs, EMC
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and
do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
present, the author might be affiliated with.)