Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> on 2014/04/28 05:20:36 UTC

need help with excel file

I have an excel file (names and addresses) where the previous user(s) have marked the processed row items by coloring the entries yellow.   Is there an easy way to select these rows to delete them and get a file with only entries needing processing?

Conversely, if I save in excel as CSV, is there a tag somewhere that I can use to select the unprocessed entries?

tnx - jt

Re: need help with excel file

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 03:20:36 -0000, Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> wrote:

> I have an excel file (names and addresses) where the previous user(s) have marked the processed row items by coloring the entries yellow.   Is there an easy way to select these rows to delete them and get a file with only entries needing processing?

brian is right that in calc you cannot do that. however, in writer it is possible. just copy one column of your spreadsheet, create an empty writer document, past the table thereto as html (edit -> past special -> html). the text colour should be copied as well as the text itself. then you may find all yellow text (edit -> find and replace -> more options -> format (with the cursor in the 'search for' box) -> font effects -> color) and replace it with some marking word such as 'for deletion'. after that you may copy the column back to the spreadsheet and follow brian's advice to sort the marked rows out and delete them. (note that all the formulas in the copied column will be lost, so you will have to create a backup of it if necessary.)

Re: need help with excel file

Posted by d a n i e l h u c h e r o t <da...@hucherot.com>.
Hello Julian,
make an adjacent column and create a formula that give the number of the
colour of cell. You can save as .csv and discrimine on that number.
Hope i am clear and this serve.
daniel

Le 28/04/2014 06:16, Brian Barker a écrit :
> At 23:20 27/04/2014 -0400, Julian Thomas wrote:
>> I have an excel file (names and addresses) where the previous user(s)
>> have marked the processed row items by coloring the entries yellow. Is
>> there an easy way to select these rows to delete them and get a file
>> with only entries needing processing?
>
> I'm reasonably sure that you cannot do this: OpenOffice sees background
> colour as formatting information and not data - so you cannot use it in
> processes. But you may be able to make the problem a little easier. Try
> inserting a new (temporary) column, adjacent to the coloured cells if
> the whole rows have not been coloured. Then you can easily scroll down
> through the file, typing something - any convenient character - into
> this column just in the coloured rows (or the non-coloured rows if that
> is easier). Then sort *all* the data on this extra column. Make sure
> that you "Include formats". This will separate your sheet into two
> areas, with all the coloured and non-coloured rows respectively
> together. After scanning the colours again to ensure you didn't miss
> anything, you can easily select the coloured rows as a block and delete
> them.
>
>> Conversely, if I save in excel as CSV, is there a tag somewhere that I
>> can use to select the unprocessed entries?
>
> No: the CSV format saves data and not formatting (or relationships), so
> you would be even worse off.
>
> But you seem to imply by this question that you have access to Microsoft
> Excel; in any case, your "previous users" may do so. In that case you
> may like to know that I notice you *can* sort on cell colour in Excel
> (at least, you can in Excel 2010).
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

---

Re: need help with excel file

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On 28 Apr 2014, at 00:16, Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I'm reasonably sure that you cannot do this: OpenOffice sees background colour as formatting information and not data - so you cannot use it in processes.

I agree.  Fortunately excel has the capability to sort on this and I went over to the dark side long enough to sort the file.

thanks.  jt

Re: need help with excel file

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.