Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Miguel Coxo <mf...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/21 19:45:38 UTC

SolrCloud state

Hi there.

I'm starting a new project using solr and i would like to know if solr is
able to setup a cluster with fault tolerance.

I'm setting up an environment with two shards. Each shard should have a
replica.

What i would like to know is if a shard master fails will the replica be
"promoted" to a master. Or will it remain search only and only recover when
a new master is setup.

Also how is the document indexing distributed by the shards? Can i add a new
shard dynamically?

All the best, Miguel Coxo.

Re: SolrCloud state

Posted by Yury Kats <yu...@yahoo.com>.
On 9/21/2011 1:45 PM, Miguel Coxo wrote:

> What i would like to know is if a shard master fails will the replica be
> "promoted" to a master. Or will it remain search only and only recover when
> a new master is setup.

Replica will not be promoted. Search would still work.

> Also how is the document indexing distributed by the shards? Can i add a new
> shard dynamically?

There's no distributed indexing yet, only distributed search. There's work
being done on DI, but it's not complete. It's up to your application to
distribute indexing. Whether you can add shards or not depends on how your
application is implemented and what your requirements are. You need to
make sure that every doc is indexed always in the same place.

Re: SolrCloud state

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

We just published a post on this topic the other day, have a look:

http://blog.sematext.com/2011/09/14/solr-digest-spring-summer-2011-part-2-solr-cloud-and-near-real-time-search/

Otis
----