Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Micael Ericsson (QIN)" <Mi...@ein.ericsson.se> on 2001/08/21 11:08:54 UTC

NO Soap logging to std out

Hi

When running soap services (with SOAP 2.2 on tomcat 3.2.3) all requests and SOAPExceptions are logged to std out.

Is it possible to turn this of or logg to a loggfile instead? Does apache-soap has a setting for this?

We are running in unix so it is possible to redirect stdout, but I want tomcat messages to go to std out, but not soap.

Thanx in advance,
Micael Ericsson.

SOAP usage in the real world

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.
I like the concept around SOAP, but I'm wondering if there are any "real
world" uses of it for web services beyond perhaps the intranet.  If so, how
are people handling:

1) Interoperabliity.  Seems like Apache SOAP server don't work all that well
with most of the MSFT .NET toolkits, especially for APIs needed or more than
simple tests.

2) Service description.  WSDL seems like the way things are going to
describe services to potential customers, but Apache SOAP doesn't have plans
to implement it, and Axis seems still a long way from production with the
features currently in Apache SOAP.  How are people letting others know about
the format of complex data objects, potentially with attachments, etc.?

3) Object/class sharing.  Does anybody provide end-users with the Java
classes that they use on the server to return or accept complex data
objects?  If so, did you create special "data only" Java classes for use
with SOAP, since I can't imagine wanting to share the true object classes
because they probably have huge dependencies/references to other project
classes that you may not want to share, have internal logic data elements
that you wouldn't normally share (i.e. the so-called 'transient' fields that
may exist, like 'lastLoginTime' or what have you), additional fields that
you might share via the XML but are perhaps computed in your class logic
(i.e. a 'total' field or a 'timestamp' that you might want to return as the
Java long value, but also expressed as String date/time according to the
caller's timezone), have processing logic that won't make sense except on
the server (i.e. 'saveData' or methods that might interact with other parts
of the your system), etc.  It seems like having to create a separate data
only class hierarchy for use with SOAP's XML marshallers is perhaps overly
nasty.

What are people doing with this?  We have created our XML APIs around SOAP,
and they tended to work okay in an all-Apache SOAP world, but things got
much nastier once the caller was a .NET VB or COM object, and it was hard to
describe the service's method+parameters for complex objects (objects with
many data elements, optional fields, embedded lists/arrays, references to
other potentially complex objects), and we did need a separate "data object"
that expressed our objects in a more portable format (i.e.
java.sql.Timestamp was shown as both a long and a String defined in GMT).

Thanks for any advice on what successful, complext implementations are doing
with respect to such issues,
David
Yozons Inc. - Secure Delivery and E-Signatures for everyone
www.yozons.com

SOAP usage in the real world

Re: NO Soap logging to std out

Posted by Rich Catlett <ri...@more.net>.
If your running tomcat which it sounds like you are you can go into the
server configuration, and try using a valve to create a logger.

Rich Catlett

Re: NO Soap logging to std out

Posted by Rich Catlett <ri...@more.net>.