Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/13 00:08:16 UTC

[collections] additions

What's the current status of collections?  It needs to
be broken into smaller pieces before any more weight
can be added?

-Matt

Re: [collections] additions

Posted by Stephen Kestle <st...@orionhealth.com>.
>>  - are enhancements to existing classes (as opposed to
>> new classes) still fair game?
>
> Yes, IMHO
+1

>>  - any objections to me committing in this component?
I've started putting stuff on the wiki so that everybody can get a
snapshot of all the decisions made, and where people are headed.  I'd
recommend adding yourself to
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Collections/GenericCollections/Contributors.
As you can see, I'd personally like to get some project infrastructure
in place. (Stephen, you might want to review what I've written about you).

So, if there are questions/proposals, I reckon they should all go on the
wiki, and then be debated in the mailing list, so that we can keep track
of the overview and direction.

Any comments?

Cheers

Stephen (K)

Re: [collections] additions

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Matt Benson wrote:
>  - was there a plan for breaking things apart into
> functors, what else?

I would like to see a good discussion on what jars to produce.

>  - Does this really matter?--people can always use
> tools to create subset jars if they can't deal with
> the full-size version, no?

I don't mind if it ends up as one project producing lots of jars, but we
need to produce them, not require others to.

>  - are enhancements to existing classes (as opposed to
> new classes) still fair game?

Yes, IMHO

>  - any objections to me committing in this component?
> Should I attempt to port to the 1.5 branch?  Or will
> that be a restart?

AFAIK, there have been no changes on trunk since the 1.5 branch split,
so I would suggest coding in the 1.5 branch.

Stephen

Re: [collections] additions

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>
wrote:

> Matt Benson wrote:
> > What's the current status of collections?  It
> needs to
> > be broken into smaller pieces before any more
> weight
> > can be added?
>
> Yes, I believe thats a good approach. And the Java 5
> branch needs finshing.

Back to this, some questions:

Re: [collections] additions

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.