Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by John Peters <my...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/29 16:02:16 UTC

Newbie Questions

Hello,

I'm just getting started with VCL and I have some questions. First, Does
the management node have to have DHCP running? I'm assuming this is used to
give IP's to compute nodes(machines handed out to users?) what happens if a
DHCP server is already in place but not part of vcl? Sorry if I seem
confused , as I mentioned I just started looking at this. I'm just trying
to set up a proof of concept. Currently we have a vmware environment which
I was thinking of using as the web server and management node and the other
3 physical machines as test boxes that will be handed out to users and
perhaps one virtual machine so I can have a mixed environment with one
virtual node and 3 physical nodes. Can someone help me get started. If my
vmware webserver and management node has a 10.10.11.X address which I plan
on using for public access to make reservations then my private address
will need DHCP?

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

John,

I said user reachable addresses rather than public addresses because you could
set up VCL to only be used internally, or you could require a VPN to access
VCL, allowing internal addresses to be used on the VCL "public" network.  For
clarity, I'll just start using "public".

The requirement that each node have a public address is something leftover
from the initial creation of VCL at NCSU where we have quite a number of
public addresses.  We are aware that many people in the community would like
to use NAT to reach the provisioned nodes, and we plan to have the NAT support
contributed by a community member included in the next release of VCL
(hopefully released somewhere around Feb. 2014).

When someone makes a reservation in VCL, VCL provisions the node and then
displays information to the user on how to connect to the node.  So, for NAT
to work, the code has to be modified to be aware of the NAT being done so that
it can give the user the correct information about how to connect to the node.
Connection is typically done using RDP for Windows reservations and either
xRDP or ssh for Linux reservations.

It is definitely fine to run the web frontend and the vcld backend code on the
same VM.  Many people are doing this.  You can also have that same VM
provision both bare metal nodes and VMs.

Josh

<jo...@ncsu.edu>wrote:

> [...]
> > tracking
> > system) issue with code attached to add NAT.  Out of the box, you'll need
> > have user reachable addresses available for each node.
> >
> > VCL uses two separate networks typically referred to as private and
> > public.
> > The private network is used by the management node to provision and
> > control
> > the available nodes.  The public network is used so that end users can
> > connect
> > to a reserved node.  You can use RFC1918 addresses on both the private and
> > public networks.  However, if you do, you'll need some sort of NAT
> > available
> > for your users to connect to the reserved nodes (unless you are doing all
> > of
> > this in a private lab where you can still connect to the reserved nodes
> > even
> > though they aren't technically on a public network).
> >
> > Back to the DHCP question - if you are planning on doing bare metal
> > provisioning, you'll need to set up xCAT for this, which includes setting
> > up
> > DHCP for the private network.  You must have your own DHCP server on the
> > management node for the private network so that xCAT can update it to give
> > the
> > nodes information on how they are to boot.
> >
> > Let me know if you need any of that clarified.
> >
> > Josh
> >
> > On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:33:54 PM John Peters wrote:
> > > I might have worded it wrong. my vcl frontend will have two nic cards
> > > ..what are acceptable addresses for those Nics for private and public.
> >
> > I'm
> >
> > > under the impression that one nic will have like a 192.168.X.X but will
> >
> > be
> >
> > > connected to public network or users from the outside will go to
> > > www.myvlc.whatever
> > > and it will be natted to the 192.168.X.X nic of the front end. Am I
> >
> > getting
> >
> > > this right?

> > dhcp.confwork?

> > much

> > addresses),

> > allow

> > pull

> > the

> > Does

> > used

> > Sorry

> > I'm

> > Can

> > make

> > - --
> > - -------------------------------
> > Josh Thompson
> > VCL Developer
> > North Carolina State University
> >
> > my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu
> >
> > All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
> > are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
> > Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by John Peters <my...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Josh.

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

John,

Welcome to the VCL community!  Our apologies that the documentation is
somewhat lacking.

VCL does not do NAT out of the box.  There is a JIRA (our bug/feature tracking
system) issue with code attached to add NAT.  Out of the box, you'll need to

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Newbie Questions

Posted by John Peters <my...@gmail.com>.

Re: Newbie Questions