Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by laredotornado <la...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/25 00:07:36 UTC

How do you access public static final values in your JSF app?

Hi,

I'm using MyFaces 1.1.6 and Tomahawk 1.1.9.  I have a public static final
int constant in a certain class, and I would like to be able to access that
value in my JSF page using JSF code.  I was curious what mechanisms you sue
to do that.

The only informative article I found on the subject is here --
http://java_rzanner.blogspot.com/2006/09/usage-of-constant-values-in-jsp-code.html,
which discusses creating a map of constants and putting them into the
application scope via a ServletContextListener.  If you know of a more
straightforward way, please let me know.

Thanks, - Dave

RE: How do you access public static final values in your JSF app?

Posted by Ma...@sanofi-aventis.com.
I had this exact problem. My solution was to create a managed bean in the application scope that implements the Map interface. You need to override the get method and in there I use reflection to find the constant field value. Then I store that in an actual HashMap (which is declared as final and static in the managed bean), so next time it just reads it off the HashMap. Eventually every constant accessed will be in the Map and reflection won't be used anymore. I wrote about this on my blog a while ago,
http://rossner.wordpress.com/

Unfortunately anything on wordpress.com is blocked from my current location so I can't give you the permalink address but I think it's the second most recent post (haven't posted anything in a while...). I'm wondering if the spring thing works in a similar way.

Matt Rossner
Prestataire - Société OnePoint Technology
+33 (1) 41 24 62 66
If you use Spring, you can use a FieldRetrievingFactoryBean to expose
your constants as beans.

http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/2.5.6/api/org/springframework/beans/factory/config/FieldRetrievingFactoryBean.html

Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> More often than not, I use an accessor on the backing bean.
>
> public String getSomeConstant()
> {
>    return SOME_CONSTANT;
> }
>
> #{someBean.someConstant}
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM, laredotornado <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using MyFaces 1.1.6 and Tomahawk 1.1.9.  I have a public static final
>> int constant in a certain class, and I would like to be able to access that
>> value in my JSF page using JSF code.  I was curious what mechanisms you sue
>> to do that.
>>
>> The only informative article I found on the subject is here --
>> http://java_rzanner.blogspot.com/2006/09/usage-of-constant-values-in-jsp-code.html,
>> which discusses creating a map of constants and putting them into the
>> application scope via a ServletContextListener.  If you know of a more
>> straightforward way, please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks, - Dave
>>
>> --

Daniel Barklon

Proship Entertainment, Inc.
Tel:514.485.8823 ext.224
Fax:514.485.2675
Web: http://www.proship.com
980 St. Antoine Street West, Suite #710
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 1A8

Re: How do you access public static final values in your JSF app?

Posted by Daniil Barklon <db...@proship.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.