Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2020/01/27 20:59:19 UTC

Ligatures

Is it possible to turn off ligatures in NetBeans? I like the new JetBrains Mono font but it does ligatures that is a problem in teaching. I want != and not an = with a / overlaid.

Ken

Re: Ligatures

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
HI,
looking at the Java documentation it seems to me that using ligatures is
off be default:

from the docs:
    /**
     * Attribute key for enabling optional ligatures. Values are
     * <code>0</code>, which means do not use optional ligatures.
     *
     * <p>The constant value {@link #LIGATURES_ON} is defined.
     *
     * <p>Ligatures required by the writing system are always enabled.
     *
     * @since 1.6
     */
    public static final TextAttribute LIGATURES =
        new TextAttribute("ligatures");

    /**
     * Request standard optional ligatures.
     * @see #LIGATURES
     * @since 1.6
     */
    public static final Integer LIGATURES_ON =
        Integer.valueOf(1);

I search the code base for the activation of ligatures, but could not
figure it out. Maybe my search foo is just bad.

So in general it should be possible to create an option to toggle ligatures
on/off...

Hope this helps

-Sven

--
Sven Reimers

* Java Champion
* Apache NetBeans PMC: http://netbeans.apache.org
* JUG Leader JUG Bodensee: https://www.meetup.com/JUG-Bodensee
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009 & 2018

* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers