Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Weaver, Scott" <we...@ugs.com> on 2007/10/10 15:56:12 UTC

Moving Jetspeed to Java 1.5.

Has any thought been given to this?  I am guessing if we are kicking
around the idea of using JPA to replace OJB, it will be a requirement
due to the use of annotations and generics.  My personal reason for
asking (other than generics and annotations, both of which Iuse daily in
other projects) is that I really like using EasyMock 2.3 for unit
testing and it only works under Java 1.5+.  If we are definitely moving,
is there a timeline?  Will the 2.1.3 branch be changed to 1.5?

Thanks,

-scott

RE: Moving Jetspeed to Java 1.5.

Posted by "Weaver, Scott" <we...@ugs.com>.
Sweet!  I am guessing trunk is still in a "usable" state?

Thanks,
-scott

Posted by "Boyce, Keith Garry" <Ke...@bcbsma.com>.
Now that's a good reason for 2.2

For the trunk (2.2-SNAPSHOT) we've already moved to 1.5.

> I am guessing if we are kicking
> around the idea of using JPA to replace OJB, it will be a requirement
> due to the use of annotations and generics.
The primary requirement of moving to 1.5 is JSR-286 Portlet API 2.0
support which we hope to bring into 2.2 (or shortly thereafter).

> My personal reason for
> asking (other than generics and annotations, both of which Iuse daily
> in other projects) is that I really like using EasyMock 2.3 for unit
> testing and it only works under Java 1.5+.  If we are definitely
> moving, is there a timeline?
 > Will the 2.1.3 branch be changed to 1.5?
No. For 2.1.x we will maintain 1.4 compliance.

Regards,

Ate

> Thanks,
>
> -scott

This message is a PRIVATE communication.
If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy
or use it and do not disclose it to others.  Please notify the
sender of the delivery error by replying to this message and then
delete from your system.  Thank you.

Re: Moving Jetspeed to Java 1.5.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by "Weaver, Scott" <we...@ugs.com>.

This
> > puts 1.4 two releases back.  I work at a large company, well I
consider
> > Siemens a large company anyways ;), and we have been on 1.5 for
almost a
> > year now.  I know we are planning on some extensive refactoring for
the
> > next release of Jetspeed and I don't see why that shouldn't include
> > moving 1.5.  The current 2.1 release could be left supporting 1.4
> > allowing for slow adopters to continue using Jetspeed.
> >
> > We already have some optional pieces that require 1.5, IIRC (Ate,
please
> > correct me if I am wrong) the new Wicket portlet support requires
it.
> No, Wicket Portlet support works with 1.4.
>
> The Wicket examples web application showcases some optional wicket
> features which do require 1.5, but Wicket core still only requires
1.4.
> So, yes: you do need 1.5 to run the Wicket Examples app, but only for
that
> purpose.

So I was half-way right :)

jetspeed-dev-help@portals.apache.org

Re: Moving Jetspeed to Java 1.5.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by "Weaver, Scott" <we...@ugs.com>.
I just hate to languish and 1.4 for that reason.  1.5 has been out for a
couple years now; heck 1.6 is actually starting to see some use.  This
puts 1.4 two releases back.  I work at a large company, well I consider
Siemens a large company anyways ;), and we have been on 1.5 for almost a
year now.  I know we are planning on some extensive refactoring for the
next release of Jetspeed and I don't see why that shouldn't include
moving 1.5.  The current 2.1 release could be left supporting 1.4
allowing for slow adopters to continue using Jetspeed.

We already have some optional pieces that require 1.5, IIRC (Ate, please
correct me if I am wrong) the new Wicket portlet support requires it.
So, if we are moving along with converting to Wicket for the admin apps
we would need 1.5.  That coupled with the fact we want to drop OJB for

Posted by "Boyce, Keith Garry" <Ke...@bcbsma.com>.