Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk> on 2010/02/18 10:19:23 UTC

merge doesn't merge changes

Hi All,

The repo in question is public, so please feel free to attempt the same
thing here and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So, the story is that I was doing development on trunk, but I needed to
branch off to do some changes while not releasing the stuff I currently
had to trunk. So, trunk becamethe 1.8 branch and the 1.6 branch became
trunk. I did the dev work on trunk and released 1.7, now I want to merge
the changes made on trunk since was created from the 1.6 branch into the
1.8 branch, so the 1.8 branch can again become trunk.

Sounds simple enough to do the last part, right?

So:

- svn co
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/branches/1.8

- svn merge -r 4195:HEAD
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk .

Except this merges no changes :-(

svn diff -r 4195:HEAD
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk
...shows the changes I would expected to see merged.

svn merge --ignore-ancestry -r 4195:HEAD
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk
...also does nothing, so I really am at a loss here.

Anyone have any ideas how I can merge my changes other than bye hand?!

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Re: merge doesn't merge changes

Posted by Rob van Oostrum <rv...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The repo in question is public, so please feel free to attempt the same
> thing here and tell me what I'm doing wrong.
>
> So, the story is that I was doing development on trunk, but I needed to
> branch off to do some changes while not releasing the stuff I currently had
> to trunk. So, trunk becamethe 1.8 branch and the 1.6 branch became trunk. I
> did the dev work on trunk and released 1.7, now I want to merge the changes
> made on trunk since was created from the 1.6 branch into the 1.8 branch, so
> the 1.8 branch can again become trunk.
>
> Sounds simple enough to do the last part, right?
>
> So:
>
> - svn co
> https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/branches/1.8
>
> - svn merge -r 4195:HEAD
> https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk .
>
> Except this merges no changes :-(
>
> svn diff -r 4195:HEAD
> https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk
> ...shows the changes I would expected to see merged.
>
> svn merge --ignore-ancestry -r 4195:HEAD
> https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk
> ...also does nothing, so I really am at a loss here.
>
> Anyone have any ideas how I can merge my changes other than bye hand?!
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Simplistix - Content Management, Batch Processing & Python Consulting
>           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

If I'm not mistaken, you are still referring to your current trunk running
the merge that way. What you're doing is implicitly doing this:

svn merge -r 4195:HEAD
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk@HEAD .

So what you need to do is this:

svn merge -r 4195:HEAD
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk@4195

Cheers,
R.

Re: merge doesn't merge changes - bug, but in which version?

Posted by Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk>.
Chris Withers wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> - svn co
>> https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/branches/1.8
>>
>> - svn merge -r 4195:HEAD
>> https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk .
>>
>> Except this merges no changes :-(
>
> Okay, so the server runs svn as supplied in debian stable, which is 1.5.1.
>
> I tried taking a dump of the repository and creating a copy locally from
> the dump with the local svn version on my laptop, which is 1.6.0.
>
> In this local copy, the merge works as expected.
>
> *sigh*
>
> So, what version of svn was this bug fixed in and where can I find out
> more about it?
>
> Also, what's the recommended way for me to get a newer version (where
> this bug is fixed) on my debian server?

Just to close this out, I ended up moving the server to 1.6 via debian's
backports and it solved the problem...

My love of svn continues to die :-(

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

Re: merge doesn't merge changes - bug, but in which version?

Posted by Chris Withers <ch...@simplistix.co.uk>.
Chris Withers wrote:
> - svn co
> https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/branches/1.8
>
> - svn merge -r 4195:HEAD
> https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/testfixtures/trunk .
>
> Except this merges no changes :-(

Okay, so the server runs svn as supplied in debian stable, which is 1.5.1.

I tried taking a dump of the repository and creating a copy locally from
the dump with the local svn version on my laptop, which is 1.6.0.

In this local copy, the merge works as expected.

*sigh*

So, what version of svn was this bug fixed in and where can I find out
more about it?

Also, what's the recommended way for me to get a newer version (where
this bug is fixed) on my debian server?

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk