Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Phil Lello <ph...@dunlop-lello.uk> on 2015/07/18 21:25:33 UTC

Supporting non-TCP/IP transports

Hi all,

I'm looking at patching httpd/libapr to support non-TCP transports.

Specifically, the transports I'd like add are:

- UNIX-domain sockets
- File-system pipes (and pipe-like devices - e.g. serial ports)

Would there be interest in adding these to core?

Phil

Re: Supporting non-TCP/IP transports

Posted by Phil Lello <ph...@dunlop-lello.uk>.
Ignore my last post - presumably UDS is short for UNIX-domain socket!

If we are going down a plugable protocol route, that I'd like to see the
option to use something a lot more complicated that a socket - e.g. a
connection to a remote SSHD / socket forward via libssh or similar.

Phil

Posted by Phil Lello <ph...@dunlop-lello.uk>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by "Mikhail T." <mi...@aldan.algebra.com>.
On 18.07.2015 15:43, Kean Johnston wrote:
> On 7/18/2015 9:25 PM, Phil Lello wrote:
>> - UNIX-domain sockets
> I personally think this could be very useful.
"Me too". In particular, it is fairly common these days for
Varnish-proxy to run on the same server as the actual Apache. Having the
two communicate via a socket would be a win...

    -mi

Re: Supporting non-TCP/IP transports

Posted by Kean Johnston <ke...@gmail.com>.
On 7/18/2015 9:25 PM, Phil Lello wrote:
> - UNIX-domain sockets
I personally think this could be very useful. However I am mainly a lurker
here so assign the appropriate weight to that opinion.