Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/08/29 23:42:21 UTC

Roles before Models

Some people like to watch TV.
I like to look in the Apache mail archives, and Peter some time ago gave
a link with the site of Doug Lea (dl@g.oswego.edu).

Here is a very nice article, that explains basically what we have come
to in the definition of roles:

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/rp/roles.html

At one pint, there is:

 > Design Steps
 > Once you have decided to adopt a role-based scheme, you need to delve
 > into the details. The following entries describe the two main facets:
 >
 >    * [UNWRITTEN PATTERN] Describing Roles

Which we are defining now with attributes&co

 >    * [UNWRITTEN PATTERN] Mapping Roles to Objects

which is the point I inadvertitaly bumped in when talking about the
descriptor-code generation process.

I also have thought a bit more about it.

Definition process:
Our main spec should be the (xml) descriptor, which is language indipendent.
Then we define the bindings to Java, like how to generate a
corresponding interface and methods.
Then we define how to add the extra attributes via javadocs to the java
code generated.

Developmnt process:
While developing though, we do th opposite.
Define the interface, add the extra javadocs, and have the doclet create
the descriptor.

  -enlighted-  :-D  -enlighted-

             - verba volant, scripta manent -