Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/18 17:11:47 UTC

Re: [Proposal] Kato : draft Incubator project proposal posted

Steve,

[reposting as per steve]

Is there any interest in developing GUI/command-line tools that an
end-user can actually use as part of the project? Or is it just the
API+RI?

thanks,
dims

Posted by Steve Poole <SP...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi Dims -  There is every interest in developing these sorts of tools. We
plan to create useful example tools that will show how to use the API
There is some existing tooling in the code that we get from IBM but we
will be adding more.

 I loosely classify the diagnostic tools space in two ways;  what type of
data the tool works with, and the range of its visualisation and analysis
capabilities.
If you do a crude mapping you end up with four quardrants   Process data
and Java runtime data vs  visualisation and  problem analysis.

We'd like to have tools in all four quadrants.

We were thinking of creating a tool to do basic  native out of memory
analysis,  writing an adapter for the Eclipse Memory Analysis Tool ,
 producing a JDI connector to allow exploration of a dump via your
favourite java debugger client and , finally an explorer for process
dumps.

Steve