Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@m64.com> on 2000/01/12 14:00:44 UTC

Removing Javac dependency

Hi,

recently there was a patch to allow you to use Jikes as the JSP compiler. I
don't really use Jikes myself but I think that if we are going to have this
pluggable JSPCompiler idea, we should remove the requirement to have Javac
around if it is not actually being used. Currently two bits of code require
sun.tools.javac to be available.

1. The checkClassDependencies method in Startup.java
2. SunJavaCompiler imports sun.tools.javac.Main

1. can be eliminated by changing REQUIRED_CLASSES in
org.apache.tomcat.shell.Constants to be empty (i.e. no required classes)

2. can be eliminated by using Class.forName(...) rather than the import.

Does anyone think this is a worthwhile change? If so I can supply a patch.
Would this cause any problems?

--
Conor MacNeill
conor@m64.com

> recently there was a patch to allow you to use Jikes as the JSP
> compiler. I
> don't really use Jikes myself but I think that if we are going to
> have this
> pluggable JSPCompiler idea, we should remove the requirement to have Javac
> around if it is not actually being used. Currently two bits of
> code require
> sun.tools.javac to be available.
>
> 1. The checkClassDependencies method in Startup.java
> 2. SunJavaCompiler imports sun.tools.javac.Main
>
> 1. can be eliminated by changing REQUIRED_CLASSES in
> org.apache.tomcat.shell.Constants to be empty (i.e. no required classes)
>
> 2. can be eliminated by using Class.forName(...) rather than the import.

and perhaps a little reflection :-)