Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2008/06/19 21:35:25 UTC

Taking A Tag For Incubator

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/rat/main/trunk/scan/ is code
used to scan distribution directories for changes. i'm currently using a
svn:externals to import trunk but i'd prefer to be able to control
changes. so i'm plan to create a branch (incubator-site, perhaps) for
this purpose and periodically merge the changes made in head onto this
branch.

can anyone see any problems with this approach?

- robert

Re: Taking A Tag For Incubator

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 20:18 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> Craig L Russell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do, but if you want to
> > check out a specific revision, the svn command has a parameter checkout
> > URL[@REV] that allows you to specify which revision you want to check out.
>
> We were discussing to use svn:externals to drag a specific revision
> from a different tree (trunk) into a live branch. I only remembered
> that one specifies a URL to the referenced tree. But it is actually
> possible and encouraged to specify a revision as well:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.externals.html

sounds good

an example of the syntax is rat -r672912
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/rat/main/trunk/scan/src/main

thanks

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Craig,

Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do, but if you want to
> check out a specific revision, the svn command has a parameter checkout
> URL[@REV] that allows you to specify which revision you want to check out.

We were discussing to use svn:externals to drag a specific revision
from a different tree (trunk) into a live branch. I only remembered
that one specifies a URL to the referenced tree. But it is actually
possible and encouraged to specify a revision as well:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.externals.html

cheers,
   Roland

Re: Taking A Tag For Incubator

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to do, but if you want to
check out a specific revision, the svn command has a parameter
checkout URL[@REV] that allows you to specify which revision you want
to check out.

But once you've checked it out, it's not clear what you can do with
updates...

Craig

On Jun 23, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Roland Weber wrote:

>>> Disclaimer: I haven't tried that yet, I'm just guessing that
>>> one can reference a specific revision via URL.
>> i don't know whether that's possible either: perhaps i'll give it a
>> go
>> to see whether it works
>
> It won't work. viewcvs can point to revisions, but svn cannot:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.serverconfig.httpd.html#svn.serverconfig.httpd.extra.browsing
>
> Looks like you'll have to go for a branch after all.
> On the other hand, deleting a branch and making a
> new copy from trunk is not that much effort either.
>
> cheers,
>  Roland

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com