Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Marc Jansen Chua <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2010/12/06 03:34:14 UTC

Implementation proposal for Continuum Issue #2592 Ability for build agents to use installations in their config file

Took a while for me to trace the
installation usage of build agents during the build process, it was
encapsulated in so many layers.

Implementation proposal:

There's a method to trigger the build and a method to select which
agent to use, the methods are pretty much overloaded, so from those
methods, I'll improve them to include the installations from  the build
agent's xml config file, I'll re-use the getter method that is used in
displaying the individual set of installations per build agents.

I'm still currently mapping out the whole encapsulated layer to see
which layer is to be added with the enhancement to cater to
extensibility & scalability. Will follow up on what exact classes to add the improvement

-CHUABLE

Re: Implementation proposal for Continuum Issue #2592 Ability for build agents to use installations in their config file

Posted by Marc Jansen Chua <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Brett & Wendy,

Brett, we are definitely on the same page :D

Brett, Wendy: Any more thoughts on this?? May I start implementing??

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marc Jansen Chua <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Wendy,

I'm pressuming on what you said meant that the master and the agents are have separate installations and can't be mixed during build.

>From my understanding, when doing "parallel builds" continuum will be using the installations of the master, since the improvement is for "distributed builds", the installations would come from the build agents' installations + from the build environment's installations where the build agents' are group in which the installations would be for the agents. So during a "distributed build", continuum will be communicating with the build agent on the installations that were configured, continuum would just be relaying the installation set for the build agent to use in where the build agent is on (Linux, Windows).

What do you think Wendy?? does this answer the problem?? :D

P.S. More discussions & suggestions would be very much appreciated :D

Thanks a lot,
Chuable

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marc Jansen Chua <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Hi guys,

Any more suggestions or feedbacks regarding the proposed improvement implementation on CONTINUUM-2592??

Thanks,
Chuable

From: Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
To: dev@continuum.apache.org
Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 11:48 AM

I'm not sure there should be any duplication. The ones on the agent will be the ones specific to that machine, the master things like MAVEN_OPTS settings which might be common.

Are the installations keyed in some way that they can use the same ID if they are intended to "override" the master settings for a given build agent?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Deng Ching <oc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marc Jansen Chua <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Deng,