Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> on 2013/01/29 15:57:09 UTC

[osx] installing 1.3.x branch via brew

Hi folks,

Here's a 1.3.x branch homebrew formula:
https://gist.github.com/4657643 as the main homebrew repo doesn't
accept recipes that point to evolving branches. It still uses all the
homebrew goodness and the only difference is pointing to a development
branch. brew dependencies and uninstall all work the usual way.

You should be able to do:

`brew install --devel https://gist.github.com/raw/4657643/couchdb.rb`

Please let me know if it works for you and on what OSX versions!

A+
DAve

Re: [osx] installing 1.3.x branch via brew

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Here's a 1.3.x branch homebrew formula:
> https://gist.github.com/4657643 as the main homebrew repo doesn't
> accept recipes that point to evolving branches. It still uses all the
> homebrew goodness and the only difference is pointing to a development
> branch. brew dependencies and uninstall all work the usual way.
>
> You should be able to do:
>
> `brew install --devel https://gist.github.com/raw/4657643/couchdb.rb`
>
> Please let me know if it works for you and on what OSX versions!
>
> A+
> DAve

is this safe to do if I've already got 1.2.1 installed locally (via
homebrew)?

Re: [osx] installing 1.3.x branch via brew

Posted by "matt j. sorenson" <ma...@sorensonbros.net>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 29 January 2013 21:50, Anthony Ananich <an...@inpun.com> wrote:
> I have macports installed and on this reason I'm afraid that couchdb
> from brew could conflict with couchdb-devel from macports. May be you
> know if is possible to install both of them at once or not?

Possible maybe, wise definitely not.

While macports is /opt/local/ and brew is /usr/local, surely the shell
will have one set before the other and who knows what the compilers
will end up using for pre-requisites like icu and spidermonkey.  I'm
pretty sure one will conflict with the other.

It should be easy to adapt the changes I made in the couchdb.rb recipe
to macports if you want to push it upstream, it's based off the 1.3.x
DEVELOPERS file.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Anthony Ananich <an...@inpun.com>.