Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ruchalale <ru...@tcs.com> on 2008/02/19 06:46:16 UTC

Problem using wildcard characters ? and *

Hi,
        I am using Solr in my application to search some blocks.
        These blocks have  unique key = block name + block id

         When i try to search a block uisng '?' it works partially..
         When i give a search for au?it (audit is the name of the block) it
shows correct results.
         But when i try same thing with crea?e (create is the name of the
block) no results are displayed..
         Both audit and create are stored in the same place.

         Also, wildcard character '*' works partially..
        If i give a search for del* (i wana search for delete block).. it
shows two results:
              delete and
              softdelete...(this should not have come)

         i tried changing the cases also but it does not work.  can somebody
please explain the reason

Re: Problem using wildcard characters ? and *

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
If you ar using the "text" field from the example schema with the
EnglishPorterFilterFactory, the word "create" gets stemmed to "creat"
which would explain your problem.

In general, stemming and wildcard queries don't work.

:          When i give a search for au?it (audit is the name of the block) it
: shows correct results.
:          But when i try same thing with crea?e (create is the name of the
: block) no results are displayed..
:          Both audit and create are stored in the same place.

-Hoss