Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2010/11/09 14:28:36 UTC

Working on the Vaadin UI...

You might have seen commits from Angelo and me related to the Vaadin based UI. At ApacheCon we started some work on this, and for now we have both the GWT and the Vaadin based UIs side by side at different endpoints: /webui and /ace. The Vaadin one is not yet complete, so some things must still be done with the GWT one but as long as you "retrieve" and "store" your changes, you can use both UIs.

It's still very much work in progress, but coming along nicely!

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Working on the Vaadin UI...

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Steve,

On 9 Nov 2010, at 14:35 , Steven Siebert wrote:

> Great work Marcel, I look forward to taking a look at the comparison.

It should already be possible, but I'll give you a heads up when the code is more feature complete. :)

> On a side note, can you comment on your experience with GWT/Vaadin?  After
> implementing Vaadin, are you happy with the results (in comparison to GWT)?

So far I am very happy. Developing a Vaadin application is easier than doing a GWT one if you work with OSGi. Also, I think the actual website for Vaadin is very good documentation and example wise. Building is quicker as no funky Java -> JavaScript conversion is necessary and having a server side MVC model to work with is convenient.

The current code probably is not yet the best example as we're still learning and experimenting, but it looks promising so far and I would definitely recommend others working with OSGi to have a look at it.

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Working on the Vaadin UI...

Posted by Steven Siebert <sm...@gmail.com>.
Great work Marcel, I look forward to taking a look at the comparison.

On a side note, can you comment on your experience with GWT/Vaadin?  After
implementing Vaadin, are you happy with the results (in comparison to GWT)?

Thanks!

Steve