Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <ie...@apache.org> on 2021/12/16 00:20:06 UTC

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Calcite Online Meetup January 2022

Hi,

Great idea with the meetup.

I've watched that talk and gone through the tutorial code - submitted some feedback and here is some more:

It's been VERY useful and I appreciate the work you do for Calcite and documentation.
Regarding the training (youtube video) also hard to follow for a calcite/relational algebra beginner like me.
I think an even gentler introduction / quick start is needed (not necessarily during meetup, but for newcomers in general).

I found the online video to go quite fast into explaining Calcite classes and WHAT needs to be implemented but it was hard for me to understand WHY - or I need more intermediate steps.
I had to go through the talk, the code and other code examples to better understand things.

So these online resources (videos, talks, blogs, tutorials and code samples) are VERY welcomed.

Although I am new to Calcite I might submit a small 5 min lightning talk if I have time to validate my idea :) .

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
I’d love to hear about your GraphQL implementation. (If the organizers think there is enough time in the meetup.)

I don’t think of GraphQL as “niche” at all. It’s a key tool for many, many app developers. It’s just that, despite the “QL” in the name, it’s not a conventional “query language”.

Julian

Posted by Eugen Stan <eu...@netdava.com>.
Hi Stamatis,

I created a PR https://github.com/apache/calcite/pull/2704 .

Thanks for the guidance.

Eugen Stan

+40770 941 271  / https://www.netdava.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Calcite Online Meetup January 2022

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

First of all thanks a lot to everyone who participated and supported the
idea of the meetup.
Special thanks to Alexey, Ioan, and Gavin, for presenting their work. All
presentations were very interesting and valuable contributions to the
community.
You can find their presentations here [1].
@Alexey, Ioan, Gavin: Feel free to submit a PR to add them in the relevant
section of the website [2].

The idea of recurrent meetups has been brought up in the discussion so I
will revive an old thread about this topic to see if there is more interest
now.

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUp_iibbIwFF83qraogaG-GTPyjH5k258
[2]
https://github.com/apache/calcite/blob/864268c600bb5bd6077092f1c6605ddd59a4969e/site/community/index.md?plain=1#L83

Posted by Gavin Ray <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for hosting this, and it was nice to listen to the discussion and
learn.

I was sad Julian did not make it, I hoped he might be there to share wisdom.

There were two things I wanted to drop as a note really quick:

1) If there's enough interest, maybe these sorts of meetups could happen in
a more regular interval? Something like every month or few months?

2) Eugen asked a question at the end when I had to leave, about how to
manage and proxy to multiple databases. (The second part was about
implementing security/access controls)

I can help with the first part of the question with some code, as I am
having to do the same thing.
Here is an example of dynamically adding a Postgres + SQL Server DB while
the application is running to a global schema, then querying across them:

https://gist.github.com/GavinRay97/9e5f32c6664be13a27dd3c676f544719

Hope this helps and is roughly what you meant =)

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
In future, I suggest we just post the zoom link here. This one is still
going here:

https://cloudera.zoom.us/j/91701199263

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Forgo the link to the event:

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eugen Stan <eu...@netdava.com>.

Posted by Gavin Ray <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Stamatis,

As Vladimir previously mentioned, we would like to present our experience
working on join planning in Apache Calcite.
Title: What we've learned about join order planning with Apache Calcite
Abstract:
Apache Calcite provides an extensive set of rules for query optimization,
but how well do existing rules work for planning a large number of joins?
In this talk, we will share our experience trying to push Apache Calcite to
plan tens of joins using some known techniques, discuss technical
challenges we faced while implementing them for Apache Calcite and
potential changes to the project that may improve the issues we encountered.
Planned duration: 40 min (I believe we can make it 30 if needed)

Thanks,
Alexey

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.