Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eric Yang <ey...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2010/06/30 18:42:27 UTC

[Result][Vote] Move Chukwa to incubator

Original incubator proposal:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ChukwaProposal

Vote put forward to incubator:

1. recommend TLP with guides to help the initial pmc,
2. accept incubating with tlp resource naming, but -incubating release
naming
3. accept incubating requiring all incubator naming conventions, that might
help the incubator simplify this decision.

Result of the vote:

Option 1) Ant Elder, Eric Yang, William A. Rowe Jr.
Option 2) Ari Rabkin, Jerome Boulon, Chris Douglas, Greg Reddin
Option 3) Bernd Fondermann

Owen O'Malley +1 on proposal

I am not sure about Chris Mattmann¹s position, but he raised the question
about TLP.

Is it ok to keep hadoop naming until we graduate to TLP, hence, we only
rename once?  ³-incubating² will be added to release artifacts.

What is next?

Regards,
Eric

Re: [Result][Vote] Move Chukwa to incubator

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 7/1/2010 11:19 AM, ant elder wrote:

> I've been suggesting it would be simpler for Chukwa to go directly to
> TLP but if thats not going to happen then you have my support to
> incubate if thats what they really want to do, and I agree a new vote
> might making things clearer. It seems a shame to require more renaming
> of mailing lists etc than necessary, another alternative could be to
> just keep the existing naming that Chukwa currently uses during the
> incubation and only do renaming when graduating to TLP. That avoids
> one renaming and might get more IPMC votes for the proposal than it
> did when using the TLP naming.

I believe this is best, to simply hold over the existing hadoop-related
naming, with clear indication on the web pages that this subproject is
now -incubating, reflect those on the incubator status page, for the
handful of months it takes to elevate the effort to TLP status.

We will need a chukwa-private@incubator.apache.org, but I think that's
about it.  But we should probably announce this [Vote] as passed, start
a second vote on general@incubator and general@hadoop permitting these
old hadoop.a.o based list addresses and website/download paths to persist.

Moving svn itself is pretty trivial, and I'd suggest we do this to make
the svn permissions simpler for incubator PMC members.

Re: [Result][Vote] Move Chukwa to incubator

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Bernd Fondermann
> <be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Fair point.
>
> The naming debate is only about the location of the project in svn and
> the mailing lists, right? Conducting the vote with this variable has
> become more arduous than all the INFRA and site work it implies; let's
> drop it. Eric, could you just change the naming in the proposal to
> match the convention? Unless there are other open issues, a straight,
> up/down vote should be possible with that modification.
>
> Bernd, would you mind conducting the next vote so that it runs to your
> satisfaction?
>
>> IMHO, Either Hadoop decides to run a TLP movement, or the Incubator
>> conducts a proper vote.
>
> The Hadoop PMC vote to recommend Chukwa as a TLP directly did not pass. -C

I've been suggesting it would be simpler for Chukwa to go directly to
TLP but if thats not going to happen then you have my support to
incubate if thats what they really want to do, and I agree a new vote
might making things clearer. It seems a shame to require more renaming
of mailing lists etc than necessary, another alternative could be to
just keep the existing naming that Chukwa currently uses during the
incubation and only do renaming when graduating to TLP. That avoids
one renaming and might get more IPMC votes for the proposal than it
did when using the TLP naming.

   ...ant

Re: [Result][Vote] Move Chukwa to incubator

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
Just a second. (Dropping TO general@hadoop.a.o.)
Please don't confuse DISCUSSION and VOTE.
BTW, it's best practice for a Incubator proposal (or any other type of
initiative at Apache) to first have a DISCUSSION or PROPOSAL thread,
and then have a vote afterwards, when thread hijacking is less likely.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 18:42, Eric Yang <ey...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Original incubator proposal:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ChukwaProposal
>
> Vote put forward to incubator:
>
> 1. recommend TLP with guides to help the initial pmc,
> 2. accept incubating with tlp resource naming, but -incubating release
> naming
> 3. accept incubating requiring all incubator naming conventions, that might
> help the incubator simplify this decision.

The original vote was about said proposal, not about options.
You are tallying a vote that did not take place.

> Result of the vote:
>
> Option 1) Ant Elder, Eric Yang, William A. Rowe Jr.
> Option 2) Ari Rabkin, Jerome Boulon, Chris Douglas, Greg Reddin
> Option 3) Bernd Fondermann

You seem to have missed a number of votes.

Could you please identify binding votes for a proper tally?

> Owen O'Malley +1 on proposal
>
> I am not sure about Chris Mattmann¹s position, but he raised the question
> about TLP.
> Is it ok to keep hadoop naming until we graduate to TLP, hence, we only
> rename once?  ³-incubating² will be added to release artifacts.
>
> What is next?

IMHO, Either Hadoop decides to run a TLP movement, or the Incubator
conducts a proper vote.

  Bernd

Re: [Result][Vote] Move Chukwa to incubator

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Welp, I think Owen is probably the best judge here since he has seen them in Hadoop-ville, and since he probably is way more familiar with the code and its eventual PMC members than I am. I'll amend my VOTE then.

+1 to Incubation, with TLP-naming (in other words, option #2). I'll try and join the lists and help where I can too, cycles-willing :)

Cheers,
Chris

On 6/30/10 11:23 AM, "Owen O'Malley" <om...@apache.org> wrote:

On Jun 30, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> On 6/30/10 9:42 AM, "Eric Yang" <ey...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>
> Original incubator proposal:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ChukwaProposal
>
> Vote put forward to incubator:
>
> 1. recommend TLP with guides to help the initial pmc,
> 2. accept incubating with tlp resource naming, but -incubating release
> naming
> 3. accept incubating requiring all incubator naming conventions,
> that might
> help the incubator simplify this decision.
>
> Result of the vote:
>
> Option 1) Ant Elder, Eric Yang, William A. Rowe Jr.
> Option 2) Ari Rabkin, Jerome Boulon, Chris Douglas, Greg Reddin
> Option 3) Bernd Fondermann
>
> Owen O'Malley +1 on proposal

Sorry, I meant to vote for option 2.  I think that it would be good to
have more visibility in before they become a TLP. They also need to
figure out how to add new committers to their project.

-- Owen

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [Result][Vote] Move Chukwa to incubator

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Guys,

My recommendation would be Option #1 - I think you guys would be OK as a TLP with some guidance, I'm not sure the Incubator will add anything that you guys can't learn on your own as a TLP with some mentorship from Incubator PMC'ers or ASF members helping you (Owen is an ASF member and his guidance would certainly help out). Helping you can mean just monitoring the private@ lists (like any ASF member can anyways), or sitting on your PMC for 6 months, and then leaving afterwards, IMO. Of course those sitting on the Chukwa PMC from Incubator-ville and who aren't as familiar with Chukwa code should be there more to help with guidance on releases/etc., then to actually influence the code base.

Sorry for not getting back to you guys before now. I also want to point out that since I'm unlikely to be available to pick up a shovel and dig on this one, I don't want to block you guys doing the work. So if there is strong feeling for any of the other options, feel free to move forward. I think you guys have a great project and are closer to TLP maturity than Incubator community growing on this one...

My 2 cents,
Chris

On 6/30/10 9:42 AM, "Eric Yang" <ey...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

Original incubator proposal:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ChukwaProposal

Vote put forward to incubator:

1. recommend TLP with guides to help the initial pmc,
2. accept incubating with tlp resource naming, but -incubating release
naming
3. accept incubating requiring all incubator naming conventions, that might
help the incubator simplify this decision.

Result of the vote:

Option 1) Ant Elder, Eric Yang, William A. Rowe Jr.
Option 2) Ari Rabkin, Jerome Boulon, Chris Douglas, Greg Reddin
Option 3) Bernd Fondermann

Owen O'Malley +1 on proposal

I am not sure about Chris Mattmann's position, but he raised the question
about TLP.

Is it ok to keep hadoop naming until we graduate to TLP, hence, we only
rename once?  "-incubating" will be added to release artifacts.

What is next?

Regards,
Eric