Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Hillel <hi...@ecommunicate.biz> on 2006/09/08 02:04:00 UTC

How To set-up James for a SMTP Authentication service via SMTP AUTH?

Hi,

We are currently using james-2.3.0b1
>From the James config file:

<!--  Uncomment this if you want to require SMTP authentication.

               supported values:
               true: required but announced only to not authorizedAddresses
               false: don't use AUTH
               announce: like true, but always announce AUTH capability to
clients

               The correct behaviour per RFC value would be false or
announce
               but we still support true for backward compatibility and
because
               some webmail client fails when AUTH is announced but no
authentication
               information has been provided
          -->
         <!--
         <authRequired>true</authRequired>
         -->

It seems one just needs to uncomment the <authRequired>true</authRequired>?
Where do you set the username/password credentials for your clients to login
to your James server using SMTP AUTH?

Does anyone have some experience with this service, they would kindly share?

Thanks for any help.

Re: How To set-up James for a SMTP Authentication service via SMTP AUTH?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Hillel wrote:
> We are currently using james-2.3.0b1
> [...]
> It seems one just needs to uncomment the <authRequired>true</authRequired>?
> Where do you set the username/password credentials for your clients to login
> to your James server using SMTP AUTH?

You simply uncomment the authRequired and then add local mailboxes. They
are used both for SMTP auth and for POP3 auth.

"telnet jameshost 4555"
"adduser myuser mypassword"

Stefano