Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com> on 2019/05/29 17:56:08 UTC

Chinese "text input" not working

Guacamole Version: 0.9.14

I have Chinese user, that cannot enter Chinese text into notepad on Chinese server.

He has tried setting input method to "text input" via the hidden men, it did not work.
https://sourceforge.net/p/guacamole/discussion/1110834/thread/ce18ae95/

Have other users had issues with Chinese text?

Thanks, Adrian

Re: Chinese "text input" not working

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.com>.
To anyone coming across this thread, Adrian successfully identified and
solved his issue, posting the solution to a new thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fba8239a777bfd07f799da18f3bf6368bbf86e90da3110b7b5211732@%3Cuser.guacamole.apache.org%3E

The connection in question had the "server-layout" parameter set to
"failsafe", which forces all keyboard events to Unicode events. The input
method running remotely does not handle Unicode events, expecting only
traditional key events, thus the remote input method was effectively
bypassed.

- Mike

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:09 PM Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com> wrote:

> The "Text Input" method will allow a local input method to be used to
> enter Chinese text. You do not need to use "Text Input" if an input method
> is being used remotely, as shown in your screenshot.
>

> First user tried default setting, that did not work. I suggested they try
> “Text Input” but that did not work either. No Chinese text was shown in
> either case.
>

> The user is connecting to my LAB tomorrow, to show me how to enter Chinese
> characters to form a word from a UK keyboard into Notepad.
>

> Then I can replicate the issue. Thanks Adrian

11:18:26.229 [http-nio-8080-exec-3] WARN  o.a.g.e.LanguageResourceService - Root-level "NAME" string missing or invalid in language "zh"

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com>.
Hi Mike,

Screen Shot send by user is attached.

User said they changed Input method to “Text Input”, and entered Chinese text. Rather than the Chinese they expected, they got ASCII..

User said if they do normal RDP to server, and type into notepad it works.

.

Note: I see these WARNINGS in catalina.out in my LAB. Could they be related to issue?

11:18:25.406 [http-nio-8080-exec-6] INFO  o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - User "" successfully authenticated from 192.168.242.53.
11:18:26.228 [http-nio-8080-exec-3] WARN  o.a.g.e.LanguageResourceService - Root-level "NAME" string missing or invalid in language "zh_TW"
11:18:26.229 [http-nio-8080-exec-3] WARN  o.a.g.e.LanguageResourceService - Root-level "NAME" string missing or invalid in language "zh"
11:18:28.741 [http-nio-8080-exec-9] INFO  o.a.g.tunnel.TunnelRequestService - User "" connected to connection "RDP administrator@HUB12 trialuser@SE16HUBDEV01 SE16HUBDEV01".
Exception in thread "Thread-17" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Message will not be sent because the WebSocket session has been closed
     at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.writeMessagePart(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:425)
     at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.sendMessageBlock(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:309)
     at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.sendMessageBlock(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:250)
     at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.sendString(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:191)
     at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointBasic.sendText(WsRemoteEndpointBasic.java:37)
     at org.apache.guacamole.websocket.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint$2.run(GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint.java:167)

Thanks, Adrian

I have Chinese user, that cannot enter Chinese text into notepad on Chinese server.

He has tried setting input method to “text input” via the hidden men, it did not work.

Can you describe specifically what you mean by "it did not work"? What happened when they tried to enter text?

- Mike

Re: Chinese "text input" not working

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.