Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/06/19 08:35:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

This is the discussion thread.

Changes in this RC include:

-moved a bunch of files out of the installer folder up to the top-level so
that the file structure of the source package better matches the repo.
This reduces the chances that the repo build will work but the source
package build will not.
-made sure to use Nick¹s version of as3httpclientlib.
-CONTRIBUTORS and CONTRIBUTING files
-Several changes to the other ³all-caps² files

So, no changes to our source code logic, but the build script changed as I
moved files sopackaging could have errors and we changed 3rd party
libraries.

Thanks,
Alex Harui

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
Had an issue building from source using readme.

Step 2 worked:

2.  In the ant_on_air directory, run:
        ant [-DFLEX_HOME=/path/to/apache/flex/sdk]
[-DAIR_HOME=/path/to/air/sdk]

Step 3 failed here for me.

3.  In the installer directory, run:
        ant build [-DFLEX_HOME=/path/to/apache/flex/sdk]
[-DAIR_HOME=/path/to/air/sdk]

Did not have a build file in that directory.  Had to go back to the root of
the folder and build from there.  Build was successful from the root at
that point.

Other than that it seemed to be fine.

-Mark

RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
I will be able to review this rc2 tonight (which is half a day away at this time).

-Mark

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I also get a 3003 with FlexJS when running the binary.

The same URL works correctly when used in a browser.

http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=org/apache/flex/flex-tool-api/1.0.0/flex-tool-api-1.0.0.jar

Here’s the log:

Installer version 3.2.0 (mac)
Using Locale: en_AU
Fetched the SDK download mirror URL from the CGI.
SDK version Apache FlexJS Nightly
AIR version 16.0
Flash Player version 16.0
Creating Apache FlexJS home
Creating temporary directory
Downloading Apache FlexJS from:http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/flex-asjs/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/apache-flex-flexjs-0.0.3-bin.tar.gz
Verifying Apache FlexJS MD5 Signature
The Apache FlexJS MD5 Signature of the downloaded files matches the reference. The file is valid.
Unzipping: /Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlexJSTest/temp/apache-flex-flexjs-0.0.3-bin.tar.gz
Finished unzipping: /Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlexJSTest/temp/apache-flex-flexjs-0.0.3-bin.tar.gz
Java is /usr/bin/java
Installing Apache Flex Falcon Compiler from: http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/flex-falcon/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/apache-flex-falconjx-0.0.3-bin.zip
Validating download: /Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlexJSTest/in/apache-flex-falconjx-0.0.3-bin.zip
Uncompressing: /Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlexJSTest/in/apache-flex-falconjx-0.0.3-bin.zip
Downloading Falcon library dependencies...
Making lib directory /Users/justinmclean/Documents/ApacheFlexJSTest/in/falcon/compiler/lib
Downloading org/antlr/antlr-complete/3.5.2/antlr-complete-3.5.2.jar from: http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=
Downloading dist/commons/cli/binaries/commons-cli-1.2-bin.tar.gz from: http://archive.apache.org
Downloading dist/commons/io/binaries/commons-io-2.4-bin.tar.gz from: http://archive.apache.org
Downloading com/google/guava/guava/17.0/guava-17.0.jar from: http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=
Downloading job/flex-falcon/ws/compiler/lib/jburg.jar from: http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080
Downloading ./jflex-1.6.0.tar.gz from: http://jflex.de
Downloading Code/JarDownload/lzma/lzma-9.20.jar.zip from: http://www.java2s.com
Downloading org/apache/flex/flex-tool-api/1.0.0/flex-tool-api-1.0.0.jar from: http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=
Error #3003
Error: Error #3003
	at org.apache.flex.ant.tags::Copy/doCopy()
	at org.apache.flex.ant::Ant/doCallback()
	at InstallApacheFlex/enterFrameHandler()
Aborting Installation

Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/22/15, 8:35 AM, "Frédéric THOMAS" <we...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I've still have the minor (?) issues:
>
>Just to be clear, I ran the installer from the build done from the source
>kit and had no issues in installing the Flex SDK itself, only FlexJS,
>that's why I don't know it I have to attribute the issue to the Installer
>or FlexJS.
>
>For the tool bar, it is minor IMO even though that looks not pro
>(especially from us).

The compiler.jar issue is a Falcon installer.xml issue.  I just pushed a
quick fix.  That issue is independent of the Installer itself.

For the toolbar, how many squares do you have?

-Alex

RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
> I've still have the minor (?) issues:

Just to be clear, I ran the installer from the build done from the source kit and had no issues in installing the Flex SDK itself, only FlexJS, that's why I don't know it I have to attribute the issue to the Installer or FlexJS.

For the tool bar, it is minor IMO even though that looks not pro (especially from us).

Frédéric THOMAS

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hold on,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Alex,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
The README already says:

"0.  Make sure you have the right version of the Adobe AIR SDK.  Apache
Flex Installer
    3.1 uses Adobe AIR SDK 4.0.  If you want to use an older version of the
AIR SDK,
    you will have to change the namespace in the following files:
installer/src/InstallApacheFlex-app.xml
ant_on_air/tests/AntOnAIR-app.xml."

I think if we change it to:

"0.  Make sure you have the right version of the Adobe AIR SDK.  Apache
Flex Installer
    3.1 uses Adobe AIR SDK 4.0.  If you want to use *a different* version
of the AIR SDK,
    you will have to change the namespace in the following files:
installer/src/InstallApacheFlex-app.xml
ant_on_air/tests/AntOnAIR-app.xml."

And since it is a minor change, we wouldn't need another round of voting
for this change or we could simply carry the current votes forward.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I could be wrong, but I thought the Installer let you pick any version of
> AIR to mix with any version of Apache Flex.

It does but it won’t currently default to the required one for the installer.

> As I said in a recent reply, you can probably just set -target-player or
> -swf-version.

Probably best to add to README and currently most people following those instructions would be unable to compile the installer.

See under "How to build the installer using ANT”, adding which version of Flex SDK is required and/or stating that the FLEX SDK also needs AIR 4.0 would help.

The steps under "How to set up the project for working with Adobe Flash Builder 4.7” and "How to set up the project for working with JetBrains IDEA 12+" are also probably a little broken as they don’t mention the new libraries, but I’ve not tried following those instructions.

> Doesn’t matter to me.

In order to vote +1 you need to be able to compile the application from source following the given instructions, the instructions have room for improvements.

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/21/15, 9:43 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@me.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> If you install some version of Apache Flex with AIR newer than 4.0 then
>>you will probably have this problem.
>
>So you’re saying this will only work if you have a default Apache Flex
>4.11 or below installed? If you have 4.12, 4.13 or 4.14 default installs
>it won’t work?

I could be wrong, but I thought the Installer let you pick any version of
AIR to mix with any version of Apache Flex.

>You would also have to select an older version of AIR when installing the
>SDK and it currently defaults to a more recent one with older versions of
>the SDK.

As I said in a recent reply, you can probably just set -target-player or
-swf-version.

>Any reason why wouldn't we want to use the latest version?

Doesn’t matter to me.  Would have been a good thing to try before we cut
the RC.  Folks are supposed to check stuff like this out before we start
making official RC’s.  At least, I think that’s the process the PMC agreed
upon.  I’m not sure how many folks are going to build their installer from
source anyway.

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 6/21/15, 10:21 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@me.com> wrote:

>Why do we have an AIR_HOME variable if in one place it using the air
>version contained in FLEX_HOME?

Because we don’t want to mingle the AIR SDK files with the files from the
Apache Flex repo.  And it should allow you to easily switch which AIR SDK
you use by pointing AIR_HOME at different versions of the AIR SDK when you
compile against the repo.  Compiling against an IDE-compatible Apache Flex
SDK is a different story because it does mingle the AIR SDK files.

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
HI,

> The Installer is just like any other AIR app.  You need to adjust the xml
> to whatever version of AIR you are using.

Except that doesn't work if you try to compile it with AIR 4.0 and your Flex SDK has another version AIR.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > If you install some version of Apache Flex with AIR newer than 4.0 then
> you will probably have this problem.
>
> So you’re saying this will only work if you have a default Apache Flex
> 4.11 or below installed? If you have 4.12, 4.13 or 4.14 default installs it
> won’t work?
>
> You would also have to select an older version of AIR when installing the
> SDK and it currently defaults to a more recent one with older versions of
> the SDK.
>
> Any reason why wouldn't we want to use the latest version?

The Installer is just like any other AIR app.  You need to adjust the xml
to whatever version of AIR you are using.  If you pick a version and things
look broken, we should certainly discuss it.  Otherwise, I don't see an
issue here.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
The -app.xml uses AIR 4.0.

AFAIK, SWCs do not have their SWF version carried over into the final SWF.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I’m allso unable to compile from source. Tied various versions for AIR_HOME.

Setting to a a recent version of AIR give this:
 error 305: Intial window content SWF version 27 exceeds namespace version http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/4.0

Setting to the AIR 4.0 (the namespace mentioned above gives) also this error.

Physically changing the name space in the config file [1] to be 18.0 rather than 4.0 and pointing AIR_HOME at AIR 18 SDK and It will compile.

My guess is that one of the new swcs has been compiled with a version of AIR > 4.0. Look like it need to be recompiled with AIR 4.0 and/or the README changed. What version of AIR do you think we should be targeting?

Thanks,
Justin

1. apache-flex-sdk-installer-3.2.0-src/installer/src/InstallApacheFlex-app.xml

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
BTW, I think you can add -swf-version=23 and/or -target-player=12.0

-Alex

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Alex,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.2 RC2

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,