Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Enrico Weigelt <we...@metux.de> on 2006/08/30 12:59:02 UTC

Re: perchild

* Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca> wrote:

Hi,

> I'm looking at perchild with the aim of getting it working.

maybe you're looking for: http://www.metux.de/mpm

The project has been stalled for quite a while :(
But maybe it's time for revival ?

> In STATUS I see:
>
> Get perchild to work on platforms other than Linux. This will require a
> portable mechanism to pass data and file/socket descriptors between
> vhost child groups.

Perchild *never* worked. The idea isn't bad - we took much of it
into metuxmpm, but there were major design problems. For example:
each childs can accept clients. That's very bad, because it allows
some user to intercept another's requests with some probability.

The whole idea of passing *sockets* (instead of requests) between
processes only works on very few systems, ie. Linux, BSD and
perhaps some others. So the whole portability issue is useless -
those MPMs only work some Unix'es, and there evrythere the same.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481

Re: perchild

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 12:59:02PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> The whole idea of passing *sockets* (instead of requests) between
> processes only works on very few systems, ie. Linux, BSD and
> perhaps some others. So the whole portability issue is useless -
> those MPMs only work some Unix'es, and there evrythere the same.

None of our MPMs offers that kind of portability.

Re: perchild

Posted by Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca>.
On Thu, 2006-31-08 at 16:21 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > It is not clear to me yet whether I should work on metux or perchild.
>
> Unless I missed some major redesign in perchild, you should drop it.
> It has some design flaws which make it insecure. metuxmpm was forked
> off to fix them.

ok ... can you reply to me off-list with an outline

if/when i start working on this, I will post a URL to the list on which
I will post progress reports until I have something that can be uploaded
to mpm/experimental

--
--gh

Re: perchild

Posted by Enrico Weigelt <we...@metux.de>.

Re: perchild

Posted by Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca>.
On Thu, 2006-31-08 at 13:37 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca> wrote:
>

> > Ok.  I have the patch against 2.0.48 ... I will see what I can do with
> > it.
>
> Yeah, it's quite old. But perhaps you can get it into current 2.2.
> Please give us feedback.

It is not clear to me yet whether I should work on metux or perchild.

I'll give you some feedback once I am able to decide (weeks rather than
days).

--
--gh

Re: perchild

Posted by Enrico Weigelt <we...@metux.de>.

Re: perchild

Posted by Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca>.
On Wed, 2006-30-08 at 23:02 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-30-08 at 12:59 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > > * Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > maybe you're looking for: http://www.metux.de/mpm
> >
> > I found that.  The links don't work.
>
> ah, bug in the php script (was too old for my server - still relied
> on register_globals ;-o)

<snip>

Re: perchild

Posted by Enrico Weigelt <we...@metux.de>.
* Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-30-08 at 12:59 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > * Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I'm looking at perchild with the aim of getting it working.
> >
> > maybe you're looking for: http://www.metux.de/mpm
>
> I found that.  The links don't work.

ah, bug in the php script (was too old for my server - still relied
on register_globals ;-o)

> > The project has been stalled for quite a while :(
> > But maybe it's time for revival ?
>
> Has it been uploaded into the apache svn ?

IMHO not. Had stalled long before the switch to svn.

Re: perchild

Posted by Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca>.