Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Ludwig Magnusson <lu...@itcatapult.com> on 2009/12/18 10:31:46 UTC

[EMAIL] Problem with mimemessage

Hello!

I want my webapp to send emails to its users.

I'm using turbine, which has VelocityEmail, that uses commons email, which
in turn uses javamail.

I realize that this may be a javamail problem but since the Email class in
commons-email always uses javamail I am asking here to see if anyone have
had the same problem. This list is much more active than javamails own.

The problem is that when I compile my app, everything works, but when I run
my webapp I get this error:

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Method not yet implemented

                             at
javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage.<init>(MimeMessage.java:89)

                             at
org.apache.commons.mail.Email.buildMimeMessage(Email.java:1011)

                             at
org.apache.commons.mail.Email.send(Email.java:1162)

                             at
org.apache.turbine.util.velocity.VelocityEmail.send(VelocityEmail.java:265)

If I goto line 89 in MimeMessage, it consists of javadoc text so obviously
something is wrong.

I have tried commons email 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 all with javamail 1.4.1 and
1.4.3 but I always get this error.

I also worte a small program that uses the exact same code to send the email
and I run it via eclipse. There it works. This suggests that the file I have
in WEB-INF/lib is wrong but it is the same one I have linked as a referenced
library in eclipse.

I googled a bit and found other people having the same problem. The solution
there was to make sure that the file in the lib directory was the correct
one, but as I said, I have already checked this.

Does anyone recognize this error?

/Ludwig

RE: [EMAIL] Problem with mimemessage

Posted by Ludwig Magnusson <lu...@itcatapult.com>.
Thanks!
I found the geronimo library and removed it. Now, it works.
Great!
/Ludwig

> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Method not yet implemented
>
>                             at
> javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage.<init>(MimeMessage.java:89)
>
>                             at

IIRC this happens when you have a geronimo javamail spec 1.3.x in your
classpath. Remove it and only leave an official sun javamail (or an
updated geronimo spec jar).

Stefano

Re: [EMAIL] Problem with mimemessage

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Ludwig Magnusson <lu...@itcatapult.com>.
Yes there is a lib directory in my tomcat installation but it does not
contain any activation jar. Should it?
If I put my activation jar library there there is no difference.
/Ludwig

Posted by Markus Mehrwald <mm...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Ludwig Magnusson <lu...@itcatapult.com>.

Posted by Charles Deal <ch...@gmail.com>.