Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/21 04:09:07 UTC

Publishing plugin docs

A while ago I pushed for publishing the plugin docs from svn, because
there was so much good information sitting there, invisible until a
release finally happened.

Now it's causing problems, mainly with the Assembly plugin which
changed quite a bit from 2.1 to 2.2.  Also, the changes in the ASF's
release guidelines mean we should keep docs on unreleased stuff
separate from the docs intended for users of official releases.

So... I'm thinking of publishing the plugin docs to
/plugins/${artifact-id}-${version}

For example:  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin-2.1/

We already have to update http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html
with the version number, it's just a few more keystrokes to change the
link as well as the text on the page.

That means 'mvn site-deploy' Just Works, we can publish docs for the
snapshots, and it's just as easy to publish the docs for the release
with 'mvn site-deploy' from the tag.

If someone wants to link to the snapshot docs, it could be done under
the Plugin Developers page, but I'd just leave it out-- developers can
figure out what the URL is.

The users will be less confused by docs that don't match the released
plugins they're using, and we'll have some archived docs online which
we can link up or not, depending on how much the plugin has changed.
Assembly, for example, needs both sets of docs online.

Thoughts?

--
Wendy

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by jallen <jo...@hotmail.com>.
Found original JIRA ticket

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2679

John

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by jallen <jo...@hotmail.com>.
(Sorry if this results in a re-send, dodgy connection)

I have contributed to a number of threads in the past regarding the fact
that maven site's are just another set of meta-data or, if you will, a view
upon an artifact and therefore the site for a specific version of an
artifact must remain valid for as long as that artifact is in existence
(i.e. forever for published artifacts) and must therefore co-exist with it's
'version' peers. Put another way, If i want the javadoc for some version of
some artifact, i want THAT version of the javadoc, not the latest one. @dev
tend tos see 'Maven site' as a way of producing your main web site, this is
not what most organisations or useful repositories should do, instead you
need to let users access the 'historical' site for the version of the
artifact that they're interested in.

An artificat has many versions yet only has one site - which is plainly
wrong. This is manifest in many areas of maven, especially evident in the
default mechanisms employed for generating artifact site URLs (which are
simply based upon the artifacts folder name/artifact id (cant remember
which)).

To work around this limiting assumption we have to specify in every POM the
following:

project.url=http://artifacts.example.com/{project.groupId}/{project.artifactId}/${versionId}

and

distributionManagement.site.url=webdav:http://artifacts.example.com/upload/{project.groupId}/{project.artifactId}/${versionId}

Note this must be specified in EVERY pom, and not just a base pom, to
prevent the base pom's ${properties} being used instead of the child (leaf)
pom's values.

Bottom line - Maven should honour an artifact's unique identity in all its
guises, including its site content. i.e. the site URL address space should
be handled in the same robust way that the repository artifact address space
is managed.

In terms of finding the 'latest' version of an artifact via the web we
provide two techniques:

Apache redirects (currently via a explicit redirect rule in httpd.conf land
but could easily be made more intelligent and automatic)

http://artifacts.example.com/{project.groupId}/{project.artifactId}/LATEST

to the artifact's latest site and

http://artifacts.example.com/{project.groupId}/{project.artifactId}/SNAPSHOT

to the artifacts SNAPSHOT site (we don't support more than one SNAPSHOT
version, we presume serial version progression).

We also provide a link on every artifact's site, in the right hand side
links area, to the latest version of that artifact (via the Apache technique
described above).

We also provide, via a custom report mojo, an external report called
ancestry, that, in its current guise, uses a simple bit of PHP that does a
live list of versions available. This obviously could be improved but you
get the idea.

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 22/04/2007, at 7:47 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Agreed.  Assembly may be a special case, because it changed so much
> from 2.1 to 2.2 -- my 2.1 descriptors didn't work with 2.2 last time I
> tried it (which could have been with a snapshot.)

Should no longer be the case, but if it is - file a bug. John has
been bringing it back in line as things get reported. Most of mine
got taken care of already.

- Brett

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/21/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Now that, theoretically, the plugins are all documented up to their
> current release and improvements in docs can wait until the next
> release, this sounds fine to me.

Thanks.  (I want the snapshot docs published as well, just not linked
prominently.)

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
What I do is I have a profile with activation on performRelease=true
that change the distribution management to something like

scp://blablablbla/release/${project.version}

So the standard url is used for the dev version and everytime a
release is made, the release of version X.Y.Z is stored in the
release/X.Y.Z subdirectory.

Stéphane

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Of course, thanks for the reminder. While the second can likely be
automated, the linking/bookmark issue is definitely a problem.

I can understand how that is a general issue and a reason to publish
to /. However, I'm not sure how that impacts the decision of using -
or / as the version separator?

(sorry for being dense - I blame the cold weather for freezing my
brain cells :)

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'm fine with either - though the latter does make a bit more sense
to me (thinking consistency with the repository).

I'm not sure I understand why it's a bigger change with more
maintenance, though - can you explain that in more detail?

Thanks!

- Brett

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

> ...meaning leave the docs for the latest release exactly where they
> are, and publish the snapshot docs somewhere else entirely.

New plan.

 * Change nothing about the way 'mvn site-deploy' currently works-- it
will publish to, for example,
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin.  This will be used
for the docs for the latest release, and avoids breaking everyone's
bookmarks.

 * Use the mvn site:stage-deploy to publish to
/plugins/${artifactId}-${version} as desired-- for snapshots and for
staging the docs prior to a release.  This automatically archives the
versioned docs in the right place.  We can then choose whether to link
to prior versions.

The release process doesn't chanage-- publish the docs to the
un-versioned "current" site, and edit /plugins/index.html.

Comments?

Wendy

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

RE: Publishing plugin docs

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I agree, the main url for the plugin should be the same, even if it's just an index page to the available versions.

Sounds good, except that I would put all stuff of a plugin under
m.a.o/plugins/${artifactId}. What about the current link with your
scenario?

Thanks,
Stéphane

Re: Publishing plugin docs