Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2007/10/12 06:06:19 UTC

Re: Infrastructure

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> We will at least need to:
>>
>> * migrate svn content
>>
>> * migrate the mailing lists
>>
>> * migrate the website
>>
>> * maybe migrate Wiki content
>>
>> * add the three Ivy committers to the ant Unix group.
>

> What can we do to help for these points?

First of all, discuss and make decisions 8-)

> For the svn content, mailing lists and ant unix group, I don't see
> anything we can do.

If we know where to put it, you can move the svn content immediately.
You already have committe access to both the source and target
locations.

> For the website, migration should be pretty easy if we use the same
> pattern as we did in incubation: put the Ivy website under
> /www/ant.apache.org/ivy/ instead of /www/incubator.apache.org/ivy/.

Hmm.  I once started to build /ant/site (in svn) but we still use a
part of Ant's core subversion area for the website.  I wouldn't want
to add Ivy's documentation to Ant's core (or Ant's site to Ivy).

> For the wiki I don't know if we need to migrate something.

I don't think we do, just need to add some links.

Stefan

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/12, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>:

> Ok, so let's decide upon the destination. IMHO
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy would be nice,

+1

--
Gilles SCOKART

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/12/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >> First of all, discuss and make decisions 8-)

> >> If we know where to put it, you can move the svn content
> >> immediately.  You already have committe access to both the source
> >> and target locations.
> >
> > Ok, so let's decide upon the destination. IMHO
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy would be nice,
>
> +1
>
> >> For the website, migration should be pretty easy if we use the same
> >>
> >> Hmm.  I once started to build /ant/site (in svn) but we still use a
> >> part of Ant's core subversion area for the website.  I wouldn't
> >> want to add Ivy's documentation to Ant's core (or Ant's site to
> >> Ivy).
> >
> > I don't want either, but ATM Ivy site is not integrated to incubator
> > site, and Ivy is reachable at incubator.apache.org/ivy/. So why not
> > take the same approach here?
>
> We can do that as a first step and think about an integrated solution
> later.  If you check in your site into svn somewhere under ant/ivy any
> person with an Unix account in the Ant group can check it out to
> people.apache.org and the site would go live.

We used to have our site in svn, but now we generate it and publish it using
ssh. We have a build.xml for that, so we only need to change the destination
location in the build.xml and publish the site, this should be pretty easy.

One question: How do we handle relocation for people having bookmarked pages
@ incubator.apache.org/ivy/?

Xavier

Stefan

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't want either, but ATM Ivy site is not integrated to
>> incubator site, and Ivy is reachable at
>> incubator.apache.org/ivy/. So why not take the same approach here?
>
> We can do that as a first step and think about an integrated
> solution later.  If you check in your site into svn somewhere under
> ant/ivy any person with an Unix account in the Ant group

this includes all three "fresh" Ant committers now

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Infrastructure

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/11/07, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > We will at least need to:
> >>
> >> * migrate svn content
> >>
> >> * migrate the mailing lists
> >>
> >> * migrate the website
> >>
> >> * maybe migrate Wiki content
> >>
> >> * add the three Ivy committers to the ant Unix group.
> >

> > What can we do to help for these points?
>
> First of all, discuss and make decisions 8-)
>
> > For the svn content, mailing lists and ant unix group, I don't see
> > anything we can do.
>
> If we know where to put it, you can move the svn content immediately.
> You already have committe access to both the source and target
> locations.

Ok, so let's decide upon the destination. IMHO
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/ivy would be nice, as I think Ivy is a
little more than other antlibs. But if you prefer
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/antlibs/ivy or anything else I won't
object :-)

> For the website, migration should be pretty easy if we use the same
> > pattern as we did in incubation: put the Ivy website under
> > /www/ant.apache.org/ivy/ instead of /www/incubator.apache.org/ivy/.
>
> Hmm.  I once started to build /ant/site (in svn) but we still use a
> part of Ant's core subversion area for the website.  I wouldn't want
> to add Ivy's documentation to Ant's core (or Ant's site to Ivy).

I don't want either, but ATM Ivy site is not integrated to incubator site,
and Ivy is reachable at incubator.apache.org/ivy/. So why not take the same
approach here? I don't know how you manage Ant's site, but it shouldn't be
too complex to get a /www/ant.apache.org/ivy/ managed as the Ivy site, is
it?

> For the wiki I don't know if we need to migrate something.
>
> I don't think we do, just need to add some links.

Agreed.