Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by sa...@cfl.rr.com on 2003/03/03 13:37:20 UTC

Re: Bug 17208 - WordDocument Problem: createListTables - Negative Array Size

> I don't know if you guys want it or not, but I'm also adding
> comments to all of the code (A LOT of comments).

Nah, comments suck. They are for the weak. JK, trust me they are very welcome
and desperately needed!...However, you should post criticisms to the mailing
list, not in the comments. For example, the following comment is not acceptable:

/*
> 	 * I didn't want to go changing methods on people, but this
> 	 * is supposed to be plc NOT pcl. Maybe someone will change the
> 	 * implementation to delegate to method: initPlcfHdd?
> 	 * And to be honest, I'd prefer that all variables and methods
> 	 * be given "good" Java names that are more descriptive and then
> 	 * use the comments to connect these to the less descriptive
> 	 * Microsoft names like plcfhdd.

This should be a post to the mailing list plus a patch posted to bugzilla.
Also, its a good point, I know that those methods are hard to read. The reason
I did it that way is I wanted to be able to match it up to the spec. There are
a ton of places where I use the names directly from the spec. It would be too
much to keep track of if I didn't. I use JBuilder. When I want to go to
something from the spec I just find the name in the Object Browser. I am always
open to finding a better way of doing it.