Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2012/03/28 16:33:29 UTC

Info about the update protocol

Looking at the most recent experiment with
updates.services.apache.org does not inspire
my confidence that this service was well-thought-out
because it shouldn't be possible for j random user
to configure it to poll continuously for updates.
I can only hope that future variants of the service
were better designed from a network utility standpoint.

In any case is there any reason to suspect that throwing
this traffic at a protocol-compliant script will be able to
tell clients to back off?  Where is the update protocol
documented in case infra needs to write a more scalable
implementation of it as an Apache C module?  Any tips,
especially a willingness by volunteers to resolve outstanding
scaling issues, will be appreciated by both infra and your
users of the service.

TIA

Re: Info about the update protocol

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 03/30/2012 12:41 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> further results of network traffic - see below

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 30.03.2012 08:26, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Currently, I have
>>> OOo 2.2, OOo 3.1, OOo 3.1.1 and OOo 3.3 installed.
>>> The URLs are according <version.ini> resp. <versionrc>:
>>> - OOo 2.2:
>>> http://update.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>> - OOo 3.1:
>>> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>>
>>> - OOo 3.1.1:
>>> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>>
>>> - OOo 3.3:
>>> http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>>

>>> I have installationsets for OOo 3.0, OOo 3.0.1, OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1
>>> on my
>>> machine. I will install them and check the <version.ini> resp.
>>> <versionrc>.
>>> I will have a look on the network traffic to figure out which HTTP
>>> requests are
>>> sent.
>>>

>> I have already checked the network traffic for OOo 2.2 after I had
>> change the
>> <UpdateURL> to
>> http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update:
>> OOo 2.2 sends a GET request followed by a OPTIONS request.
>>
>> Further reports will follow.
>
> Network traffic of different OOo versions after updating the <UpdateURL>
> to http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update:
> - OOo 3.0 (original <UpdateURL> == update30....) sends a GET request
> (200 OK reply) followed by three PROPFIND requests (405 Method not
> allowed replies) followed by a HEAD request
> - OOo 3.0.1 (original <UpdateURL> == update30....) sends a GET request
> (200 OK reply) followed by a PROPFIND request (405 Method not allowed
> reply)
> - OOo 3.1 - the same as OOo 3.0.1
> - OOo 3.1.1 - the same as OOo 3.0.1
> - OOo 3.2 (original <UpdateURL> == update34....) - the same as OOo 3.0.1
> - OOo 3.2.1 (original <UpdateURL> == update35....) - the same as OOo 3.0.1
> - OOo 3.3 sends a GET request (200 OK reply)
> - OOo 3.4 Beta (original <UpdateURL> == update38....) - the same as OOo 3.3
>

> Best regards, Oliver.

Interesting and thanks...OK, you're routing everything to my original
"do nothing" XML. I am also continuing to experiment with local file
setup that might lead folks to the snapshot DL page. More work on this
though. With local file URL I need to pass in more params I think.

Your other message, re
"I have already checked the network traffic for OOo 2.2 after I had
change the <UpdateURL> to
http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update:
OOo 2.2 sends a GET request followed by a OPTIONS request."

hmmmm...OK. No idea about what was causing the POST request which is
*clearly* in the error logs. Maybe soem very old versions which happened
to have update.services.openoffice.org as the update URL but didn't work
the same at all.

I'm thinking if we do redirects, we need to ditch this one completely!

Maybe we can come to a consensus early next week (Tues?) on all this.

I think we'd be safe redirecting "update3x.services.openoffice.org" but not
update.services.openoffice.org.

Thanks again for all your work on this!

>> BTW, does the server logs track the <User-Agent> HTTP header field
>> content of
>> the HTTP requests?
>> It should contain all the necessary information to identify the OOo
>> installation. For my OOo 2.2 this HTTP header field contains
>> "OpenOffice.org 2.2
>> (680m14(Build:9134); Windows; x86; BundledLanguages=en-US"
>>

>> Best regards, Oliver.

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,
                                     -- Robert Heinlein

Re: Info about the update protocol

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

further results of network traffic - see below

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 29.03.2012 19:15, Kay Schenk wrote:

>>> a ha! So...maybe the business we saw on Tuesday was from an older
>>> implementation that used "POST" instead of "GET". I was going to spend
>>> some time today looking into this Oliver. So --THANK YOU!
>>>
>>> OK, next question... do you or anyone else happen to have a mapping between
>>> update host names and versions to which they apply?
>>>
>>> We redirected "update.services.openoffice.org" which MAY be the URL for
>>> older clients that used "POST" instead of "GET". I don't know version of
>>> OOo this would have been configured for.
>>>
>>> Should we assume that all the update3x.service.openoffice.org
>>>
>>> apply to OpenOffice.org 3.x clients which are probably implementing the
>>> corrected protocol -- GET vs POST?
>>>
>>> I'm happy we're making progress on this!
>>>
>>> ps. I also found update23.services.openoffice.org and
>>> update24.openoffice.org as valid DNS entries which we definitely NOT
>>> re-rotue probably due to the same issues.
>>>

>> Currently, I have
>> OOo 2.2, OOo 3.1, OOo 3.1.1 and OOo 3.3 installed.
>> The URLs are according <version.ini> resp. <versionrc>:
>> - OOo 2.2:
>> http://update.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>> - OOo 3.1:
>> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>> - OOo 3.1.1:
>> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>> - OOo 3.3:
>> http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>
>> I have installationsets for OOo 3.0, OOo 3.0.1, OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 on my
>> machine. I will install them and check the <version.ini> resp. <versionrc>.
>> I will have a look on the network traffic to figure out which HTTP requests are
>> sent.
>>

> I have already checked the network traffic for OOo 2.2 after I had change the
> <UpdateURL> to http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update:
> OOo 2.2 sends a GET request followed by a OPTIONS request.
>
> Further reports will follow.

Network traffic of different OOo versions after updating the <UpdateURL> to

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.