Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Christopher Bradford <br...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/20 02:05:07 UTC

Support for networking via identity instead of IP

Hello C* Dev list,

While thinking through some ways to span clouds / Kubernetes clusters I
found some approaches not possible (or significantly difficult) due to how
we use IP addresses instead of hostnames. This lead to the creation of
CASSANDRA-15823 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-15823>
along with this message to spark some discussion in this space. The body of
the ticket is a little lengthy but goes into the background a bit more.

Additionally while in discussions with some other C* users there is
apparently a bit of pain around our use of IPs instead of hostnames. We
were about how cass-operator uses DNS for seed node discovery and they were
excited about an uptick in hostname / DNS usage instead of a list of IP
addresses.

Any thoughts about this proposal? What are some pitfalls that should be
considered?

Thanks,
~Chris

Christopher Bradford

Re: Support for networking via identity instead of IP

Posted by Christopher Bradford <br...@gmail.com>.
I wasn’t sure if this was CEP material or not. I don’t mind migrating it
that direction instead of a JIRA.

Thanks!

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,