Posted to user@tez.apache.org by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/07/25 04:21:41 UTC

0.5 blockers

Folks,

Here are the blockers for 0.5.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-1311?jql=project%20%3D%20TEZ%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC

Please add to the list in case something is missing. Only API stability
issues should make it to the blocker list since 0.5 is expected to be an
API stable release. Addition of a API’s is possible after 0.5. So new API’s
don’t need to be included in this list.

Thanks

Bikas

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

RE: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
TezUncheckedException exists for the RuntimeException case.

Will look at TEZ-1278

Bikas

will change the API, so please consider that!

Also btw, did you consider making TezException a RuntimeException ?

best
Johannes

On 25 Jul 2014, at 04:21, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Here are the blockers for 0.5.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-1311?jql=project%20%3D%20TEZ%20A
ND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20ORDE
R%20BY%20key%20DESC

> Please add to the list in case something is missing. Only API stability
issues should make it to the blocker list since 0.5 is expected to be an
API stable release. Addition of a API's is possible after 0.5. So new
API's don't need to be included in this list.

> Thanks
> Bikas
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential,
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or
received this communication in error, please contact the sender
immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

RE: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Johannes Zillmann <jz...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Sid,

in my experience adding checked exception to a project (and i did it a lot) doesn’t really add any benefit.
Using the project just becomes tougher. Ok, its throwing a TezException and i have to handle this. So what does that mean ? Usually its worthless and just adds overhead until you run into some specific cases, like ok i need to handle this TezTimeoutException separately. But the same thing you can easily do with an unchecked exception.

So frankly i’m all against checked exceptions ;)
However, oracle/sun is saying:
	"Here's the bottom line guideline: If a client can reasonably be expected to recover from an exception, make it a checked exception. If a client cannot do anything to recover from the exception, make it an unchecked exception.”

So looking at the Tez code base the TezException is all over the place. And how said its not obvious for an user what the TezException could be and how to handle it.

All in all nothing dramatic.. but would just like it more if it would be unchecked :)

Johannes

Re: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Johannes Zillmann <jz...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Sid,

Re: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.
Johannes

Re: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.
Johannes

Re: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Johannes Zillmann <jz...@googlemail.com>.

Re: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Johannes Zillmann <jz...@googlemail.com>.

RE: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
Yes. The relevant jiras have just been marked as blockers.

> %20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocke
> r%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC
>

> Please add to the list in case something is missing. Only API
> stability issues should make it to the blocker list since 0.5 is
> expected to be an API stable release. Addition of a API's is possible
> after 0.5. So new API's don't need to be included in this list.
>

> Thanks
>
> Bikas
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
> confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable
> law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination,
> distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is
> please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Thank You.

--
Chris K Wensel
chris@concurrentinc.com

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

RE: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
why not, TEZ-684.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-684

On Jul 24, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>

> Here are the blockers for 0.5.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-1311?jql=project%20%3D%20TEZ%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC
>

> Please add to the list in case something is missing. Only API stability
> issues should make it to the blocker list since 0.5 is expected to be an
> API stable release. Addition of a API’s is possible after 0.5. So new API’s
> don’t need to be included in this list.
>

> Thanks
>
> Bikas
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Chris K Wensel
chris@concurrentinc.com
http://concurrentinc.com

Re: 0.5 blockers

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
why not, TEZ-684.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-684

On Jul 24, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>

> Here are the blockers for 0.5.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-1311?jql=project%20%3D%20TEZ%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20ORDER%20BY%20key%20DESC
>

> Please add to the list in case something is missing. Only API stability
> issues should make it to the blocker list since 0.5 is expected to be an
> API stable release. Addition of a API’s is possible after 0.5. So new API’s
> don’t need to be included in this list.
>

> Thanks
>
> Bikas
>
> --