Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/30 15:46:21 UTC

[Testing] Automated Method Testing Project

Hey Guys,

This just came across the wire
on the junit mailing list:

http://gtcgroup.com/soaj/Road.to.SOAj.html#AMT

It looks like a phenomenal start at automated
method testing work that I mentioned a while
back, in conjunction with the "Class + Class Helper"
pattern, which we also discussed on the JUnit mailing list here
for those interested:

http://www.nabble.com/100---Method-Testing-and-Generating-Unit-Tests-tf2902785.html

Here is brief excerpt from their documentation (Which has very
impressive depth):

You want to be advantaged by Test Driven Development (TDD) techniques in
a cost-effective manner.

Effective application design includes the notion of “testability”.  The
“Automated Method Test” pattern provides an alternative to custom
hand-coded unit tests for a subset of functional methods.  Authoring
hard-coded tests leads to several representative challenges:

·         Volume - The volume of test code can exceed the volume of
functional code.

·         Effort – The effort expended on test code can exceed the
effort expended on functional code.

·         Cost - The long-term cost of servicing test code can exceed
the cost expended on functional code.

Might be worth it for us to keep a close eye on this.

Cheers,
- Ole