Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by marko kiiskila <ma...@runtime.io> on 2016/04/28 22:10:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache Mynewt 0.8.0-incubating-rc1

Hello all,

This thread is for any and all discussion regarding the release of
Apache Mynewt 0.8.0-incubating-rc1.  All feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Marko

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Mynewt 0.8.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by marko kiiskila <ma...@runtime.io>.
> On Apr 30, 2016, at 7:32 PM, justin@classsoftware.com wrote:
>

> Doing this:
> newt target set myble build_profile=optimized
>
> Fixed that issue but why?

Setting build profile brings in some additional cflags. Errors which
result on not setting the build_profile are not pointing to source
of the problem at all.

However, use of different build profiles is optional. Maybe newt
should check that iff there are any build_profiles’s present,
then targets must set it? (Sorry for going a bit off-tangent here).

> Even then I don’t know that all of the core has been build or only the bits that this project needed. I think we need to have instructions on how to build the core in it's README.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Mynewt 0.8.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by ju...@classsoftware.com.
Hi,

> Nope.  mynewt-core is a project (think of it like a workspace in eclipse or an IDE.)

In order to vote +1 on it I need to be able to compile the code in the source package.

> drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Apr 28 12:13 bleprph
> [snip]

Tried a few all give:
Error: Could not resolve target name: xxxx

A "newt target show” shows no targets in core.

> You don't need to create a new project, you can just checkout core, and build bletiny.  To do that, you just omit the repository descriptor when creating targets within apache-mynewt-core (repository descriptor = @apache-mynewt-core), because you are in the local context.

So doing this:
newt target create myble
newt target set myble bsp=@local/hw/bsp/nrf52pdk
newt target set myble app=@local/apps/bletiny
newt build myble
Building target targets/myble

Gave:
Error: bignum.c: In function 'mpi_mul_hlp':
bignum.c:1159:1: error: r7 cannot be used in asm here

Doing this:
newt target set myble build_profile=optimized

Fixed that issue but why?

Even then I don’t know that all of the core has been build or only the bits that this project needed. I think we need to have instructions on how to build the core in it's README.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Mynewt 0.8.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.

On 4/30/16 6:07 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> mynewt-core is a project, just like any project you create with newt new.
>
> So is a newt build mynewt-core expected to work?

Nope.  mynewt-core is a project (think of it like a workspace in eclipse
or an IDE.)

Within a project, there are applications and board support packages.

So, for example, within core i have a target:

$ newt target show
targets/blinky_sim
     app=apps/blinky
     arch=sim
     bsp=hw/bsp/native
     build_profile=debug

this says build the apps/blinky application within the project, and use
the native board support package (stub definitions to run simulated on
OS X.)   build_profile=debug means include debugging symbols, and
arch=sim is entirely unnecessary (used to be required, now the bsp
defines the architecture.)

Here are the apps you can try building within core:

drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Apr 28 12:13 bleprph
drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Apr 28 12:13 bletest
drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Apr 28 12:13 bletiny
drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Mar 24 10:09 blinky
drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Apr 28 12:13 boot
drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Mar 14 17:43 ffs2native
drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Mar 14 17:43 luatest
drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Apr 28 12:13 slinky
drwxr-xr-x  4 sterling  staff  136 Mar 14 17:43 test

To try bletiny, look at this tutorial:

http://mynewt.apache.org/os/tutorials/bletiny_project/

You don't need to create a new project, you can just checkout core, and
build bletiny.  To do that, you just omit the repository descriptor when
creating targets within apache-mynewt-core (repository descriptor =
@apache-mynewt-core), because you are in the local context.

Cheers,
Sterling

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Mynewt 0.8.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.
mynewt-core is a project, just like any project you create with newt new.

so, just git clone mynewt-core (or ungz the tarball), and then set the
app & bsp you want to compile it for.  (blinky, bletiny, etc.)

i do most of my dev on mynewt-core itself, but when we release, its
really meant to be included in other people's projects (and newt
install/upgrade can manage it as a remote dependency.)

cheers,

sterling

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.

On 4/30/16 5:09 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I don't see the link?  B2 (the link I see) was voted on, and released. This is v0.8, full release...
>
> Sorry my mistake. I had expect the version number to not be the same as the previous release. Generally the version after 0.8.0 would be 0.8.1 (or similar).

yeah :)  we called v0.8-b2 actually v0.7.9 in the repository.yml file.

after v0.8 we should just start bumping up the minor until v1.0 -- it
really made no sense to have a v0.8-beta designation, as anything prior
to 1.0 is by definition beta.

sterling

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Mynewt 0.8.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Looks like there’s a up public link up to build that has not been voted on [1]? If so this is against Apache policy and the second time this has happened. What can we do to to fix this/avoid this happening again in the future?