Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Richard Belanger <rb...@forrester.com> on 2002/09/30 01:26:32 UTC

Question on the use of MultiFieldQueryParser

Hi:

I am trying to use a MultiFieldQueryParser to query across three Text
fields (title, author, and content) where content is a large XML file that
has had the XML tags stripped out.  The result set I get back seems to be
from only one field, though - the one with the highest scoring document.
Ideally I would like to get back a result set with results from all three
fields and then make my own decisions on results to display. Any
suggestions for how to do that would be greatly appreciated.  Here's what I
am doing now:

     String qFields[] = new String[3];
     qFields[0] = "contents";
     qFields[1] = "title";
     qFields[2] = "author";

      Searcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(IndexDir);
          Query query =  MultiFieldQueryParser.parse(instring,qFields,
analyzer);
          hits = searcher.search(query);

     for (int i = 0 ; i < resultSet.length() ; i++) {
          thisscore = Math.round(resultSet.score(i) * 100);
          if (thisscore > 10 ) {
          Document doc = resultSet.doc(i);
          String path = doc.get("path");
          String title = doc.get("title") + " (" + thisscore + "%)";
          v.addElement(title);  }  }

Thanks,

Rich

Richard C. Belanger
Chief Technology Officer
Forrester Research
400 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA 02139

rbelanger@forrester.com
http://www.forrester.com

Re: Question on the use of MultiFieldQueryParser

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

Heh, I jsut returned from Cambridge to NYC.
I don't have time to look through the old code that I wrote, which used
MultiFieldQueryParser class, but the class does work as described in
its API.  The problem might be elsewhere.
The code in the original email also looks like it's not the real code
(hits vs. resultSet).  But it looks correct otherwise, as far as I can
tell.

Otis