Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Kumar M <co...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/09 20:24:28 UTC

best cocoon version with regard to xsl transformation

Hello!

We are planning to migrate a web application from cocoon 1.8.2 to cocoon 2 to increase throughput and page response. Application will be hosted on Tomcat 4.1.12. It can also be upgraded to 4.1.29 if perf. gains are noticed. In the existing Web application most of the processing time has been found to be spent with xsl transformation. It currently uses Saxon.

Which version of cocoon (cocoon 2.0.3, cocoon 2.1.2, cocoon 2.13) is best with regard to xslt processing time and throughtput. (Cocoon 1.8.2 seemed to lock the pages of the same url for considerable period of time during processing).

Many Thanks

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

Re: best cocoon version with regard to xsl transformation

Posted by Christian Mayrhuber <ma...@sbox.tugraz.at>.
Kumar M wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We are planning to migrate a web application from cocoon 1.8.2 to cocoon
> 2 to increase throughput and page response. Application will be hosted
> on Tomcat 4.1.12. It can also be upgraded to 4.1.29 if perf. gains are
> noticed. In the existing Web application most of the processing time has
> been found to be spent with xsl transformation. It currently uses Saxon.
>
> Which version of cocoon (cocoon 2.0.3, cocoon 2.1.2, cocoon 2.13) is
> best with regard to xslt processing time and throughtput. (Cocoon 1.8.2
> seemed to lock the pages of the same url for considerable period of time
> during processing).
>
> Many Thanks

> Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/slv/mailtag/*http://companion.yahoo.com/>

You can try to turn on incremental processing for Xalan in cocoon.xconf,
to shorten the time till the first content is delivered.

If you are looking for a fast XSLT processor, the one that Johannes
Döbler wrote has about 6.5 times more troughput under Linux than Saxon
and about 5.6 times more troughput under Windows.
It is available unter Mozilla Public license at
http://www.aztecrider.com/xslt/
I've only tried it with Cocoon 2.1.2 on some samples. It is said that it
conformes 100% to the W3C standard, like Saxon and Xalan, too.

These numbers are from an article in the german iX magazine.
Reference:
1. Heiko W. Rupp (hb)
Geschwindigkeitsrausch
Leistungsfähigkeit von XSLT-Prozessoren