Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by ruslan usifov <ru...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/06 00:19:12 UTC

upgrade from cassandra 0.8 to 1.0

Hello

It's looks that cassandra 1.0.x is stable, and have interesting things like
offheap memtables and row cashes, so we want to upgrade to 1.0 version from
0.8. Is it possible to do without cluster downtime (while we upgrade all
nodes)? I mean follow: when we begin upgrade at some point in working
cluster will be mix of 0.8 (nodes that are not upgraded yet) and 1.0(nodes
that already upgraded) so i am concerned about this situation, i.e.
communications between nodes can be broken because  version communication
protocol incompatibilies

Re: upgrade from cassandra 0.8 to 1.0

Posted by William Wichgers <ww...@gist.com>.
On 04/05/2012 03:19 PM, ruslan usifov wrote:
> Hello
>
> It's looks that cassandra 1.0.x is stable, and have interesting things
> like offheap memtables and row cashes, so we want to upgrade to 1.0
> version from 0.8. Is it possible to do without cluster downtime (while
> we upgrade all nodes)? I mean follow: when we begin upgrade at some
> point in working cluster will be mix of 0.8 (nodes that are not
> upgraded yet) and 1.0(nodes that already upgraded) so i am concerned
> about this situation, i.e. communications between nodes can be broken
> because  version communication protocol incompatibilies

This is from the NEWs file in the 1.0 upgrade:

1.0
===

Upgrading
---------
     - Upgrading from version 0.7.1+ or 0.8.2+ can be done with a rolling
       restart, one node at a time.  (0.8.0 or 0.8.1 are NOT
network-compatible
       with 1.0: upgrade to the most recent 0.8 release first.)
       You do not need to bring down the whole cluster at once.
     - After upgrading, run nodetool scrub against each node before running
       repair, moving nodes, or adding new ones.