Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/06 00:22:11 UTC

Kafka user group meeting

Hi,

A few people have expressed interests in a Kafka meetup. We'd be happy to
host an Apache Kafka user group meeting at LinkedIn. Would people be
interested? If so, what date (evening time) would people prefer and what
content would people want to cover/discuss?

Thanks,

Jun

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
In terms of content, I am thinking that we can give a quick tutorial of
Kafka and an update on the replication work in the 0.8 branch. We can also
cover the usage of Kafka at LinkedIn. However, it would be great if we can
hear some other usage outside of LinkedIn. Anyone interested in presenting
their experience?

Thanks,

Jun

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com>.
I'd be very interested in monitoring and EC2 best practices.   Not having
JMX in EC2 sucks.

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Taylor Gautier <tg...@tagged.com> wrote:

> I'm more interested in use cases then deep code.  I'd like to hear how
> people are using or planning to use kafka.
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM, xiaoyu wang <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Definitely Interested.
> >
> > Content:
> > A. tutorial (walk through the kafka source code at high level) , new
> > features, operations,
> > B. Q/A session
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > A few people have expressed interests in a Kafka meetup. We'd be happy
> > > host an Apache Kafka user group meeting at LinkedIn. Would people be
> > > interested? If so, what date (evening time) would people prefer and
> what
> > > content would people want to cover/discuss?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jun

*Evan Chan*
Senior Software Engineer |
ev@ooyala.com | (650) 996-4600
www.ooyala.com | blog <http://www.ooyala.com/blog> |
@ooyala<http://www.twitter.com/ooyala>

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Evan Chan <ev...@ooyala.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Tim Lossen <ti...@lossen.de>.
i am coming over for velocity.

tim

--
http://tim.lossen.de

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by je...@gmail.com.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Vaibhav Puranik <vp...@gmail.com>.
Jun,

+1
That would be really suitable for me. I am flying from LA to attend Hadoop
Summit.

Regards,
Vaibhav
GumGum

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>.
Cool :) !

Will anyone else be commuting from the Hadoop Summit to LinkedIn tomorrow
evening...?

It'd be nice to have bus buddies, or to carpool, or share a cab :) !

--
Felix

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
We can make it a regular event.

Thanks,

Jun

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Felix,

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Yes.

Date: Jun 14
Time: 7:00pm-8:30pm

RE: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by "Bateman, Matt" <ma...@ebay.com>.
I'm in.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Vaibhav Puranik <vp...@gmail.com>.
Count me in.

Regards,
Vaibhav
GumGum, Santa Monica

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by chetan conikee <co...@gmail.com>.
Count me in.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by chetan conikee <co...@gmail.com>.
Count me in.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Sam William <sa...@stumbleupon.com>.
Count me in

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Sam William <sa...@stumbleupon.com>.
Count me in

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.
how about June 13th?  might already be in town that day still confirming
that though

--

/*
Joe Stein

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>.
I'd be interested :)

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by liu brent <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 remote

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Niek Sanders <ni...@gmail.com>.

RE: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Andrew Psaltis <An...@Webtrends.com>.
+1 for remote as well.

Posted by Christian Carollo <cc...@gmail.com>.
+1 for remote video access.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Roman Garcia <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

--
http://tim.lossen.de

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Taylor Gautier <tg...@tagged.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Taylor Gautier <tg...@tagged.com>.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by xiaoyu wang <xi...@gmail.com>.
Definitely Interested.

Re: Kafka user group meeting

Posted by Ken Krugler <ke...@transpac.com>.
Hi Jun,

On Jun 5, 2012, at 3:22pm, Jun Rao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few people have expressed interests in a Kafka meetup. We'd be happy to
> host an Apache Kafka user group meeting at LinkedIn. Would people be
> interested? If so, what date (evening time) would people prefer and what
> content would people want to cover/discuss?

I'd be interested, but I'm in the Bay area at irregular intervals so my input on dates has little value.

As for content - best practices for configuring Kafka (both in production, and integration testing), scaling to many topics.

Regards,

-- Ken

Ken Krugler
http://www.scaleunlimited.com