Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Stan Gammons <sg...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/05 00:19:07 UTC

SAF and Netbeans 8.x

Hi everyone,

I know this can has been kicked down the road  before, but while
searching for the problem I have; I didn't really see a solution. I have
this JAVA application that a fellow amateur radio operator wrote using
NetBeans 6.9 on Windows.  One can install the third party SAF plugin and
make the application compile/run and one can edit the forms on Windows
using NetBeans 8.1.  When I bring the application over to Linux and
install the SAF plugin on NetBeans 8.1, I can compile/run the
application but it keeps giving the error saying the SAF is no longer
supported and I need to use NetBeans 7.x   So, why is it I can edit the
forms on Windows but I get the error and can't edit them on Linux?  The
forms use Windows fonts and when I run the application on Linux they
don't display correctly.  So, I need to be able to edit them on Linux in
order to make the forms display correctly.  Other than trying to make
this work with NetBeans Platform, which I really don't want to do, any
ideas on how I might make it so I can edit the forms?

Stan

Re: SAF and Netbeans 8.x

Posted by Muraleedharan Vp <mu...@gmail.com>.
unscribe

--
Muraleedharan VP

Re: SAF and Netbeans 8.x

Posted by Stan Gammons <sg...@gmail.com>.

Re: SAF and Netbeans 8.x

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: SAF and Netbeans 8.x

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Could it be something to so with the version of Java your running on Linux?

What version are you running on both the windows environment and the
Linux one?

John

Re: SAF and Netbeans 8.x

Posted by Stan Gammons <sg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Charles,

My goal is/was trying to make the JAVA application work on Linux.  While
it will "run" in the NetBeans 8.1 IDE, the windows/forms are all jacked
up because of the fonts and text size.  I guess I could install an old
version of Kubuntu that has a JDK that works with NetBeans 6.9 on
something and see how that works.  I think that would take JAVA 1.6 ?

Stan

Re: SAF and Netbeans 8.x

Posted by Charles Bedon <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello Stan,

Re: SAF and Netbeans 8.x

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
If the app is open-source you could just publish it somewhere and we could help more directly.

You don't need to open the forms on Linux in order to make them look good on Linux. You could just edit the forms on Windows and use the standard Swing fonts (and *not* hardcoded Windows fonts) and it should look about the same on any operating system.

​--emi