Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Attila Szegedi <sz...@freemail.hu> on 2004/02/10 15:18:04 UTC

Re: velocity vs taglibs

> Actually, I have just realized there is no need for copy-pasting since
> JSP 2, because it has a new feature, preludes and codas, which are
> statically included JSP segments.
>
> In the web.xml you have something like:
>
>   <jsp-config>
>     <jsp-property-group>
>       <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
>       <include-prelude>/myprelude.jspf</include-prelude>
>     </jsp-property-group>
>   </jsp-config>

Frankly, I'm always irritated when I see JSP-related features in the servlet
spec. JSP config in the web.xml? As if taglib declarations in web.xml
weren't enough. Gosh...

OTOH, I must admit Sun has made a big leap toward having JSP 2.0 resemble
template engines (read: ripped off many good ideas). Tags you can define in
JSP instead of Java (for macros), JSTL (for standard control flow
constructs), expression language with syntax familiar from template engines
etc.

Of course, they still have that awkward XMLish syntax, and still can't be
used outside a HTTP server, so template engines still have their advantages
:-)

Attila.